• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was at a gun shop the other day and looked at a long rifle percussion lock (gloucher) could of been converted from flint, brass mountings to include patch box. nice figure maple stock,3 barrel tennions, looked to be around 40 cal. Makers name hand engraved on top flat it was H.LEYPOLD about a 40 in. barrel, the shop owner was reluctant to even let me handle the rifle so pictures are out the window. Any one ever heard of this builder, I off the top of my head would date the rifle to the late 1800s

Most likely it's an H.E. Leman rifle from Conestoga Rifle Works. As far as original longrifles...very common.
The Goucher family of locks were very common in the percussion era. As a matter of fact all the "flint" Gouchers I have seen in the flesh or in photos were originally percussions wrongly converted to flint. The Gouchers were in operation supposedly during the flint era but i have not seen a true Goucher flintlock.

It is possible that it is a H. Leypold?? as Goucher locks were a very common hardware store lock that many builders/stockers used in their builds. Like I said though likely it's a Leman.
Lemans date to the 1840s-70s

In good condition they can be quite valuable, especially if there is any historical figure connection but most are in the lower end for longrifle collectors. A fairly nice one can be found for 1000 bucks or less, sometimes a lot less.

There were Golchers, Goulchers, Goughers, making muskets for the Committee of Safety, and a gun for George Washington (Valley Forge Museum), and on into the 1880s.

They were a very prolific family of gunsmiths. Several James, a Thomas, William, and George.

Latest posts

Back