• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old TC Maxi-Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple full tubs of the old TC Maxi-Lube. It vaguely appears to resemble chile con carne, which doesn't look very appealing to use in a muzzle loader. :shocked2:
Anybody ever remember using this product at all and did it work any good?
Should I just throw this stuff away? :hmm:
During what years was it made?
The label doesn't even claim that it contains all natural ingredients. :grin:

P1010522ab50.jpg

P1010523a40.jpg

P1010524a38.jpg

I still have a tub of that stuff left from about 1980something. It is still good, but sort of rank smelling. It is whitish in color, nothing like that specimen.

I concur with Blizzard. I have some from the 80's that was whiteish with some oily separation. I don't think that is Maxilube in your jar.
bramble

I would dump it.

That does not look like any of the Maxi-Lube I have ever seen.

T/C used the name Maxi-Lube when they were packaging machinery grease for lubing Maxi-Balls. They had pulled it off the market when they came out with the repackaged Ox-Yoke lube.
Some Maxi-Ball shooters did not like the then new "all-natural" lube. So T/C reintroduced the petroleum grease lube for a few years. It too then was pulled off the market.
My samples of Maxi-Lube were yellow in color. A type of grease commonly used to lube machinery in factories. The second version was yellow in color and was a high-temperature lube used in industry.

What you have looks kinda funny. Gritty with tiny beads. But then some of the older Ox-Yoke lube also had that same appearance but it was yellow in color.

But with any of these old lubes. If in doubt, throw it out.

Repack it and sell it as lip balm. You'll never lick your lips with that stuff on there :rotf:

HD

I used T/C Maxi-Lube when I shot my first ML, a T/C Hawken, in .50 caliber. The Maxi-Balls I bought with it were lubed with it. I also bought a tube of Maxi-Lube, to lube patches for my round balls. It was a brown grease like you would use to lube ball joints in an automobile. It fouled the bore of my Hawken making follow up shots difficult without swabbing, or brushing between shots. Why not try it, so you can see what it is like compared to the lube, or lubes we now use in our MLs. Have fun, experiment!

I used it in the mid to late 80's and that does not look like it.

Worked good for me at that time. I was shooting Lee R.E.A.L bullets at the time out of my .50 Renegade.

Throw it out!

Now this is sort of interesting because there are cream colored globules mixed in to this TC product which seem to be uniform. So if this is a mix who did it? The little globules seem to be mixed in too consistently to have been added in by an individual, so I'm guessing that this batch was made by TC.
I remembered that I had a new full jar of a Rig product that almost seems to have a similar consistency to the brown "grease" in the Maxi-Lube. It contains petroleum sulfonate.
Anyone ever use this Rig Patch Lube?

P1010525a40.jpg

P1010526a50.jpg

P1010528a36.jpg

Back