• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old supplies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've seen several posts lately about the good, bad, and ugly of using old shooting components. I realize that humidity and location can make a difference. I live in Denver which is very dry. I just started shooting again after about a 10 year break. My half full plastic container of Pyrodex seemed to work just fine. My prelubed patches were too stiff but with a little spit they slid down the barrel just fine. I had some balls with the dreaded white powder on them. I dumped them into some soapy water, dried them on a paper towel, and gave them a shot of WD40. They are shiny gray again. Admittedly it wasn't a lot of them. I am really greatful to this forum for getting me motivated to start shooting again.

Glad you're back..!!
I've had nothing but bad experiences with old pre-lubed patches, regardless ( in my experience) of what the lube was. Your experience might be different but everytime I "dug out" some old pre-lubed patches to give them a try in a "new to me" load combination..they have failed. Typically shredding upon loading. I'm a "patch reader" and the ones I picked up after firing were just unrecognizable shreds of material.

I agree with Don Steele on the old pre-lubed patches. Also, I try to shoot enough that my supplies never get old.😉

I agree with Don Steele on the old pre-lubed patches. Also, I try to shoot enough that my supplies never get old.😉
I don't think I have ever used pre-lubed patches. I've always cut my own out of cotton pillow ticking and either threw them in my mouth (if I'm shooting targets) or I'll use some lube if they are staying in the gun a while (hunting). There is nothing quite like the feel of dry cotton cloth going into your mouth.

Back