• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lennylouque

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This gun was my grandfathers and i am looking for more information on it, ant help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lenny

20160411_204031_zpsk6vapbjz.jpg

20160411_204114_zpsred2qdbt.jpg

20160411_204110_zpsc6yidiiv.jpg

20160411_204050_zpszytlqvin.jpg

There are no other marking that I see. I have these additional photos, if they help.

20160411_204142_zpst1tzrzsp.jpg

20160411_204121_zpsospbzatq.jpg

20160411_204124_zpss14gvpqi.jpg

Thanks,
Lenny

The first thing that comes to mind is that it has somewhat of a Dutch/ Germanic look to it...but also odd. More pics would help...from different angles...including the whole musket...also buttplate.

I have a few more pics of the gun below. A few things i noticed was that most of the gun is nailed together. The brass rings holding the barrel to the stock are nailed on, the trigger guard is nailed on. The only part bolted on is the are where the flint lock is. There is also a wooden ram rod. Hopefully some of this will help ya'll out. All the parts on the gun still move freely also. I am thinking it might have been a hunting fowling piece or a poor boy style gun.

20160412_213045_zpszfphuccs.jpg

20160412_213129_zpsc9ybrejq.jpg

20160412_213116_zpsuikkvay1.jpg

20160412_213300_zpsvuagvez2.jpg

20160412_213311_zpskijdbifh.jpg

20160412_213112_zpsrgol7mln.jpg

Thanks for all the information

Lenny

It is interesting...indeed...as you say appears to be cobbled together. What exactly is happening at the breech?

Many years ago, I had a similar flintlock. That one was a trade gun, for the African trade. Not sure but this one looks like it could be for the same trade
Regards
Simon

That would actually make a little sense to me, I know he spent several years in Africa. Its possible that is where it came from.

Thanks,
Lenny

Simon I think you nailed it! I was going to reply African trade gun till I saw your post. If he spent some time in Africa I feel 99 & 44/100ths. % sure that's what it is.

I concur, African Trade piece, likely made in the 20th Century. If you study American and Europeon guns from the 18th and early 19th Centuries you can tell that this is not one of those. If you notice it has somewhat crude features yet at the same time "modern". Examples are the round headed nails, modern stamping in the stock,the modern looking screw heads, modern screw pitch and the overall plainness or lack of artistry in say the lock. That odd breach is another clue. It looks like basically a tube barrel with a reinforced breech, very crude and very cheap.The crudeness and economy of construction suggests the African Trade although pieces were made for South America as well.
Guns like these were produced in Belgium, some with left over musket parts into the 1950s.
I have no idea where this one was made.

Back