• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Eynsford 1 1/2 F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am preparing to place an order for black powder and am considering trying OE instead of Goex. I admit to being confused concerning the OE 1 1/2f vs. 2f. I usually use mostly Goex 3f but use 2f in a couple of my .54s and 12 gauges. Do they offer the 1 1/2f as a 2f equivalent due to the fact that OE is a slightly finer powder (or so I have read)? I just am not sure what the difference would be with a difference of just 1/2f and why they would offer both.

From looking at the powders 2f Eynsford is about the same size as 3f regular. 1.5 Eynsford is about the size of 2f regular.
2f Eynsford naturally shoots faster than the 1.5, but when I compressed 1.5 in a cartridge the velocity gap disappeared.
Based on what shooting I have done with the Eynsford, I'ld recommend 2f where you were using regular 3 and 1.5 in place of regular 2.

I have been thinking about this also. I was leaning towards 2 F to replace both 2 and 3 f in other brands. I will read other posts and once again be so happy that I found this forum!

Geo. T.

Check out my previous posts regarding... hope this help you.

This OldE... shoots a lot like Swiss...in my personal tests. You should experiment as I have.. It's a interesting solution am I am sure will spawn much debate on this most respected forum!

Respectively...
-c

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris S. said:
Check out my previous posts regarding... hope this help you.

This OldE... shoots a lot like Swiss...in my personal tests. You should experiment as I have.. It's a interesting solution am I am sure will spawn much debate on this most respected forum!

Respectively...
-c
Thanks. I had actually read some of your earlier posts. I guess as time goes on, there will be more people that try the OE and report back on its effectiveness. In the meantime, I have to make up an order for a 25lb case and will just have to order an assortment to try out for myself. The thing that continues to puzzle me is the fact of the two granulations: the 1 1/2 fg and the 2 fg. It is such a small difference between the two that I just don't get the rationale for making both in addition the 4f and 3f.

Black Jack,

Yeah.. I am just trying to prompt enough buzz regarding this product on this forum! My results are just one more data point.

Hope all those who are experimenting share their results.

A buddie was trying it out last week at friendship. He was not having good luck with it at 500 yards so have gave it to me and we shot in our shotguns worked ok for us. He switched back to swiss

Fleener

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I am repeating a question I had asked previously in conjunction with other issues. Can anyone explain the reason for offering 1 1/2f black powder in Old Eynsford? It just seems so close to 2f that I don't see the need for both. I know that some will say "you have to see which works best in your rifle", but all the same they must be very close. Swiss offers the same granulations and I know there are a lot of Swiss users here with a lot of experience and knowledge of black powder use in competition so I am hoping to tap into that wisdom before I order a case of mixed powder.

Tuff call ain't it?

Member Kentuckywindage has done several tests of the stuff and shared here, look for his posts.

I wouldn't compare it to Swiss because Swiss is a sporting grade powder that is in a higher plane all by it'self.

I guess the only thing I could add is that no matter what you get you will learn to use it.
Only you control the final outcome of the variables of the load for your rifle,
Ball size, Charge, Patch thickness and Lubrication.

10-12(?) years ago Goex changed the location of their manufacturing plant, they had trouble with their supplier of charcoal and several batches of powder came out as lesser quality than expected.
This caused a lot of duress amoungst BP shooters as they faced performance and fouling issues that they had never had occur before.
Long story short, those that bought quantities of those bad lot#'s eventually worked through the problems and used up their powder supply.

Another thing is many that use Goex prefer the finer 3F in many of their guns all the way up too and including large bore musket,, :idunno: The point here being that the finer powder works for them.

my testing of olde E vs swiss experience was similar to fleeners buddy. I saw nothing about olde E that made me want to switch from swiss in my LRML. however, the olde E worked just fine in my shotguns both breech and muzzleloader.

with 110gr OE 1 1/2 fg ive already broken in to the 1630 FPS range. I still have a lot of testing to do, but the heat has really been causing the velocity to go up and down on a cold to hot bore.

Kentuckywindage said:
but the heat has really been causing the velocity to go up and down on a cold to hot bore.
It does that with CF stuff too.
It's generally considered that a 5 minute wait between shots will give a bore time to cool to a standard that's reliable for velocity testing in warm to hot temps.
It takes along time to develop cold shot data in the hot weather :idunno:

Black Jack said:
Can anyone explain the reason for offering 1 1/2f black powder in Old Eynsford? It just seems so close to 2f that I don't see the need for both...
Your probably right for us muzzleloaders.

I think the 1 1/2 Fg powder is aimed at the folks who shoot black powder cartridge rifles (BPCR).

Those folks are often shooting very heavy bullets so the courser grained powder is useful in keeping their chamber pressures lower than a 2Fg powder would produce.

The BPCR boys probably burn as much powder or more per year than we muzzleloaders do so it makes sense to give them a better powder too.

Zonie said:
Black Jack said:
Can anyone explain the reason for offering 1 1/2f black powder in Old Eynsford? It just seems so close to 2f that I don't see the need for both...
Your probably right for us muzzleloaders.

I think the 1 1/2 Fg powder is aimed at the folks who shoot black powder cartridge rifles (BPCR).

Those folks are often shooting very heavy bullets so the courser grained powder is useful in keeping their chamber pressures lower than a 2Fg powder would produce.

The BPCR boys probably burn as much powder or more per year than we muzzleloaders do so it makes sense to give them a better powder too.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I forget the BPCR shooters and think all black powder shooters load from the business end. Both OE and Swiss are reported to be a little finer grained than regular Goex, so I can see how a grade which is a little courser would help when shooting with the heavier elongated bullets.

Some folks shoot blackpowder from cartridge and muzzleloaders. :grin:
At any rate don't let the 1.5 Eynsford throw you, it's basically the same grain size as regular Goex 2f, same as Swiss 1.5 is.
So as I said before if you've been shooting 2f in your muzzleloader , then 1.5 Olde E is likely the place to go (altho you will experience higher velocity so you'll need to reduce the charge a bit) If regular 3f is where you've been the 2f Eynsford (or Swiss or Schuetzen) is the powder you want.
All Goex did besides change up the recipe a little bit, is change the screen sizes to match what Swiss uses for size.

Because you compare Swiss to Schuetezn and say the Goex has changed a recipe, but primarily because I've read this (each section) ten years ago and have continued to study and refer to it;
http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

If you really want to know about powder you should read them too. It's much better than Wife's tail, myth and downright misinformation.

necchi said:
Because you compare Swiss to Schuetezn and say the Goex has changed a recipe, but primarily because I've read this (each section) ten years ago and have continued to study and refer to it;
http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

If you really want to know about powder you should read them too. It's much better than Wife's tail, myth and downright misinformation.

Ok lets take a look. Swiss and Schuetzen are both screened pretty close to the same sizes. Generally about 1 f size smaller than the corresponding regular Goex size.
Goex when they came out with Olde Eynsford changed screen sizes to match Swiss and Schuetzen.
Goex also has developed a different recipe for Olde Eynsford.
It's not wives tale. Anybody who could expend the effort to actually acquire and shoot the Olde Eynsford can verify that Swiss,Schuetzen and Olde E are very similar sized.
Anybody that has actually shot Olde Eysnford can verify that it is fast and it is clean, and leaves a fouling that is some good bit softer than Swiss or Schuetzen.
I'm on my second 10 lb order of the stuff.
How much have you actually shot?

As to Bill Knight writings, I don't need to go look at an outdated web site. I have his writings on CD he sent to me. There is some good information in those writings, it is dated and one must always keep in mind he had very close business dealings with Swiss and Elephant, and not so much with Goex, so there is a bias.

Latest posts

Back