• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OKLAHOMA SLING QUESTION

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproulman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i just got my new leather sling and a leather muzz gun case,real nice, i like both very much.

when you put sling over your shoulder it is about 1 and 1/2 wide.

i need idea of what to get or make to get something wider on shoulder for comfort and help it not slip off.

i would like to stay with the brown suede color but anything would work.

thanks

Some sporting goods store may sell the slip on strap cushions that the strap goes into and rest on the shoulder when adjusted properly most back packs or pack frames come with them allready on.

Look for sued leather in the goodwill store near you. Purses, coats, skirts, etc. come in suede. Or you can buy a chamois cloth at your auto center, which will be light tan, and sew a piece around the sling. If you buy some of the synthetic foam padding available at hobby stores, you can actually so a wider " pad " covered in the leather( either the Chamois, or the suede) to fit the sling and make the sling wider, to carry more weight comfortably. Once you have the chamois cut to size, and before sewing, just use a good stain you can buy at shoe repair shops, or from suppliers like Tandy Leather company. By using sued, or Chamois, you give a soft cover to the synthetic pad, and that held hold the sling in position on your shoulder as you move about.

I use a sling backwards, and carry my gun muzzle down. That means my wider portion of my sling( the commercial sling was made with a wider strip with a suede backing sewed to it) is closer to the buttstock than to the forestock.

I carry the gun muzzle-down, to keep water,( rain, sleet, fog, mist, etc.) out of the barrel, and to keep the long barrel from hitting branches overhead. I control the gun with my hand on the forestock, lifting it up over brush and logs when needed. I can also lift the whole gun off the sling if crossing through tall brush or climbing through a hole in vines and branches. The muzzle goes through before I do. By carrying the gun upside down, I also control the lock, which is at my side or under my arm, so sticks, and branches can't trip a trigger or cock the hammer. I am not fond of carrying any rifle loaded, with a sling carry over my shoulder, muzzle up. You have no control over that trigger and hammer, and the muzzle is simply way to close to my ears, no matter how long the barrel may be. If the gun were to fire accidentally, the muzzle blast will probably destroy your hearing, permanently, in the near ear, and the muzzle flash will probably set your hair and hat on fire, too.

If you remove the percussion cap, or empty the pan of flash powder, and lower the cock, with the frizzen carried open, a gun CAN BE carried safely with a sling carry, muzzle up. When you transport a gun in that carry, it may as well be unloaded, as you are not going to bring the gun to bear on any target- human or game, quickly enough to do much good. I can say the same with the over-the-shoulder carry, and, for most people, who don't practice, the trail carry, and the elbow carry.

If you Google " slings" you might find pads for slings you can simply buy. Look at what Bob Allen has, as they cater to the high end shotgun crowd with lots of leather everything. Brownell's would be another possible source. :thumbsup:

great ideas.

i will check chamois idea as i have bottle of leather dye coming from teaxas leather co..

my only problem is finding someone that SEWS,women today are not sewing anymore :(

What women don't sew anymore. Guess that leaves you one choice. Learn to sew. I'm not trying to bug you about this. In this sport sewing is almost a part of the hobby.I use and old Singer treadel machine and also sew by hand. You will find lots of things that need to be sewn and likely you will have to do the job. The first one is a little scary but it gets easier every time after that.
good luck.
Fox :thumbsup:

I have to agree. Any one who can tie a knot can sew! I know you have tied shoelace knots, and probably a knotted tie to wear. So, there is simply no excuse for you not to do your own sewing. Most of the men in my gun club do their own sewing. Some of their wives make shirts for them, and do some of the sewing, but most of the guys do most of their own. It gives you something to do around a campfire, if nothing else. The kind of stitching needed to sew chamois over a soft synthetic pad is pretty basic stuff. its the same cross stitch that you use when threading shoe laces into your shoes.

Trust me. Your friends will be more impressed that you made ANYTHING yourself, than all the guns and gear you buy.

If you are not worried about the PC (period correct) police, go to the Walmart Automotive section and get one of the slip on wideners for seat belts so they do not cut into your shoulder. They are inexpensive and come in numerous colors.

RDE

all great info, thanks all.

i called OKLAHOMA LEATHER CO.

i asked if he could make a SHOULDER PAD for their slings.

he seemed to be very interested.

he talked about 2 inchs wide,12 inchs long and 7/16 thick foam inside with his leather sewed around.

his name was TOM and if you could, give him call if you have idea on PAD and offer your support to make one.

here is his no.918-542-6651 ask for TOM

i did your idea.

i bought a velcro seat belt widener at wal-mart for 4 dollars.

it was light brown color and had padding inside it and velcro thing you can take on and off and is real soft.

i then took a bottle of leather dye, light brown and dyed it.

looks real good and felt great on my shoulder.

Back