• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder horn attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both, attached and on a separate strap. Kinda prefer the attached on the bag strap but only by a teeny amount.

Never cared for the horn attached to the bag, I wear my bags high on the hip with the horn strap that allows the horn to lie middle of bag flap, that way if you need to get into the bag you just push the horn to the rear on its seperate strap, so its out of the way.

About ten years ago , I decided to create a shot pouch , or bag , with a larger flap , with a compact , two fist size powder horn , to hide under the weather proof flap. So , bought the ugliest , tightly bent horn , I could find. All worked to perfection , but , my state of health , required that I lighten everything up. I still love the under flap concept. Hunting in a snow fall , the under flap horn is perfect. ........oldwood

Yeah, it's short-- like barely goes around my neck short. I'll have to do something to make it work.

I may very well end up with just a cartridge box. I'm still kind of playing this by ear. For load development, I've got an MTM 12 GA box that holds 2 dozen rounds.

I really don't know how it's going to net out. I have no grand desire to play dress-up to hunt deer. The deer don't care, and when I'm in full drag, I'm in a full Hunter Orange Clown Suit-- the only thing missing is the orange squeeky nose.
5-IMG_6996.jpg
You are my long-lost twin who can grow a beard I can't. I hunt like the grand pumpkin so I can go home at the end of the hunt. Too many flatlanders in deer season for me.

What kind of strap is on the horn now?
Straps are usually easy to remove, replace.
I would suggest getting a strap of your desired length, try it out for a while. Get or make two short strap you can attach temporarily to you bag, try that out for a while. Then make what you feel works best.

I started out with two straps, it drove me nuts - especially when I also carried a Canteen and/or haversak ...Too Many Straps!!
So I finger wove my own crude strap and now I carry it attached to my bag; I am happy with this, others are not.
Also I tried it 'below' the flap as others have stated but I didn't like that either, now I have it just over the flap and it helps keep the bad closed and works fine for me.

**Disclaimer: Some day a stray spark will find it's way to the horn and BLOW ME TO SMITHEREENS!!
(which is why I swing it behind me when I shoot....but others will say....)

Attachments

• 20200821_132622.jpg
    20200821_132622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, it's short-- like barely goes around my neck short. I'll have to do something to make it work.

I may very well end up with just a cartridge box. I'm still kind of playing this by ear. For load development, I've got an MTM 12 GA box that holds 2 dozen rounds.

I really don't know how it's going to net out. I have no grand desire to play dress-up to hunt deer. The deer don't care, and when I'm in full drag, I'm in a full Hunter Orange Clown Suit-- the only thing missing is the orange squeeky nose.
5-IMG_6996.jpg
OMG! Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!!!

Years of trials brought me to attaching horn to bag strap. But that wasn't my worst carry problem. Anything you out over your head on straps is going to dangle. Stoop to the ground and here comes your bag and horn swinging to the front and hindering whatever you got going on at the ground. One option was to use very short straps so the bag stays tucked up under your arn. Very little forward swing, but problematic when loading from bag and horn. My permanent answer is straps long enough to put bag and Hilton at waist level, but kept in place by a belt that also serves to carry your hawk or hatchet and a second fixed blade knife. I say second because my first knife sheath is sewn to the back of the baag. Has worked for me for years. Another advantage to that system is that the belt can also secure your EDC if you are inclined to carry one.

My one bag has the horn attached, and it works well. I run a waist belt around the main bag strap, but the straps attaching the horn to the bag I leave free, so I can use the horn. The straps are not long enough to cause me too much trouble swinging etc.

Attachments

• Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back