• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok SMR trigger gaurd ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm to the trigger gaurd install. If I'm not mistaken the trigger gaurd on smr muzzeloaders are pinned in ,no screws.
My question......are the front and rear feet on the triggergaurd inlet/ mortised into the stock. Flush? If so it would make pinning the triggergaurd alot easier. Thanks
Pic of Kibler SMR.
Mine is a pecatonica kit.
Let me kill 2 birds. On the butt plate ..Kiblers butt plate firvthe SMR has 4 screw holes two the plate and two where it turns and wraps over the top of the comb. Should we use 4 or just two? All my guns have two. But I'm trying to keep it as close as I can to what it should be. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628_153921_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628_153921_Chrome.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks Ianh
Flintand steel if your serious I don't remember. Somewhere on a search.
If your jostling then I will mail a ck for $2000
Just send the gun to me.

Put put two in it and filed them right down when fitting and finishing the plate on the stock. The other four got the heads turned down for proper fit in the countersink per Kibler's instructions and used on final installation.

Traditionally, hand forged iron trigger guards on southern mountain rifles were attached with screws, and at least some of them were surface mounted. These guards were generally forged of one, two, or three pieces riveted, brazed, and/or welded together. I don’t recall ever seeing one with tabs for cross pins. Not many people make these now, and the “SMR” iron triggerguards we are seeing now are typically investment castings made to look like the forged ones. However, the investment cast guards can easily be made with tabs for pins, and I suppose builders now must be taking advantage of this.

If you look at old photos of southern rifles, you’ll see many of them have the ramrod protruding a couple of inches beyond the muzzle. I thought for the longest time that this was just a regional custom, that southern shooters and gunsmiths liked having the extra length to improve the hand-hold, but I recently realized that the forward triggerguard screw was likely interfering with the ramrod channel. A cross pin could be mounted lower in the stock so it would not interfere.

Here is where a modern builder has to decide whether he wants an authentic rifle, or one modified to make it “better.”

Decisions, decisions…

Notchy Bob

On all the photos of Southern Mountain Rifles I've examined, the trigger guards are inletted. Some are flush, while others have bevels above the plane of the wood. Most are held by screws, but some of them, forged iron guards, are pinned in. In those cases the tab would have been staked into the foot, then brazed or soldered. But it was done, and was common enough.

When screwed on, the front screw does not interfere with the ramrod, or ramrod hole, in any way. Those folks just liked the ramrod long for whatever reasons. The front screw placement on the photos, and on the iron mounted Southern guns that I build, is directly underneath the breech plug bolster. There is about 1/2" of wood between the end of the ramrod hole and the front trigger guard screw.

Latest posts

Back