• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oiled Ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I read that some guys put their ramrods in a tube
with linseed oil or coal oil or Balistol.
Why did they do it? Flexibility? :hmm:
Did anybody do the same and how long must the ramrod remain in the tube?
:hatsoff:

I never do, and in 30 years I've only had one break. That's was my fault and not the ramrods. I use hickory loading/cleaning rods too.

I'd use linseed if I were going to do it. The kerosene stinks to high heaven.

If you can geta Dixie Gun Catalog, it tells about it in back,whole 9yrds. Dilly

I usually soak a new ramrod in kerosene..the fancy lamp oil kind that smells sweet..still stinks, though...i've been told it makes the rod more flexible...don't know..have broken 3 rods in 30 years, all my fault..Hank

I've used neetsfoot oil, rather than linseed. It doesn't get dry sticky and makes the wood more flexible than linseed. I just painted the neetsfoot on over the course of a week. I've used kerosene, but that ramrod broke anyway due to a hidden flaw.
Remember (as I did not) if you want to stain the rod, you have to do that first!

The trick is to use a split hickory ramrod, not one formed round by machine. The split rod is split along the grain, shaped with plane, rasp, and file. While not break-proof, it stands up better than others. So, to me, an oiled rod is a waste of oil & time.

Hey All :hatsoff: , I agree with Leathermoose. I've soaked my Great Plains ramrod in Neetsfoot oil since I've
had it (1997 I think). I'm still on the orginal ramrod, and this gun has had a lot of lead thru it. I get done cleaning the gun, an I put the ramrod in it's cpvc tube filled with neetsfoot oil and leave it there until the next time I shoot. I wouldn't try to curl it, but it flexes very easily.
My brother in law used to laugh at me for
doing this, but he has broken 6 or 7 rods over the
years, so I think he is finally trying to soak his too.

Keep your powder dry ! grumpy bear :thumbsup:

The neetsfoot oil smells as bad as the kerosene. I'd try olive oil or mineral oil. They both work fine on leather and they don't stink.

soaking ramrods in oil seems like an effective way to add a protective finish to the wood. however, i do not believe it contributes much, if any, to the rods flexibility. in the course of my work i often split four foot lengths of green hickory and bring them to approximately 3/8" thickness and then bend them into a round hoop of 14" diameter or even less with my fingers--no heat and no jigs. hickory,when green is a very plastic wood--and it retains much of that plasticity after curing.

for my own rods i color them with aqua fortis and allow them to acquire their own finish from the things they contact when in use. i use mink oil to lube myrtle's patches and that and all the other things that seem to get everywhere when i shoot put a beautiful hand-rubbed sheen on the rod in very short order.

take care, daniel

Was that pure neetsfoot oil you smelled, or neetsfoot oil compound? I don't get much smell from mine.

What type of animal, exactly is a neet? Is rendering the oil from it's feet difficult? Can you eat the meat or use the pelt?
Inquiring minds want to know :grin:

Well, sense you asked, you remember when you said a 3/4 pound Tenderloin Steak sure would be "neat" right now?
You wern't wrong! :) Real Neatsfoot oil is extracted from cattle hooves. :grin:

Now that stuff Mark was talking about that was stinky might have come from wringing out the socks of a high school football team after the season is over. :rotf: :rotf: :grin:

Back