• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oil Lamps or Candles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candles in our candle lanterns.A couple outside and one small one for the tent.

Welll, at some events, you are not allowed OIL. Often thought of bringing a whale oil lamp and see if someone freeked out. ::
But I use candle...Big one inside my tent, two up in the big awning in front of the tent...and then a small, tiny teeny flashlight for emergencies. Like in the porta potties. :blah:I have been afraid to bring a candle into some of those for fear of ignighting a larger flame than needed to see by. :crackup: :crackup: or blow up half the camp. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :what:

We make our own beeswax candles so we use them mostly but I do have a betty lamp I use Bear oil in. We are going to start making tallow and beeswax for the purist in the crowd. They do tend to run where pure beeswax won't. I like the three sided tin lanterns, they throw a lot of light.

Use mostly dietz oil lanterns, mainly because I haven't gotten around to making enough candle lanterns and beeswax candles. But this summer I'll probably get around to it... or maybe this fall.

Smokeydays

I have been looking for a good source for a specific oil type lantern. I know some of the early fixed, round globed, steel framed lanterns were adapted for use by the early railroads. I also collect railroad artifacts and have passed up some of these early examples because they lacked a railroad marking. Now I want one or two and I can't find them! They would be great for my camp! As I recall, they are of the appropriate era, although late.

In the meantime, I am using mainly oil, but not barn style lanterns.

TexiKan
---------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

While on the subject of beeswax while working on a
little project i spilled about a pint of very hot beeswax
on the kitchen floor. The floor is vinyl. This occurred
yesterday and it is good and cool now. Anyone got a quick
way to get it off. Mrs snake is out of town for a couple
days would sure like to get it up before she returns home.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
snake-eyes :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

While on the subject of beeswax while working on a
little project i spilled about a pint of very hot beeswax
on the kitchen floor. The floor is vinyl. This occurred
yesterday and it is good and cool now. Anyone got a quick
way to get it off. Mrs snake is out of town for a couple
days would sure like to get it up before she returns home.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
snake-eyes :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Try freezing it with ice, it should make it cold enough to scrape up with her good spatchula...

-or-

Take the hair dryer and heat it up enough to run and blot it with paper towels, messier results may occur...

You know, you could turn this into your advantage...

Heat it up and spread it out thin over the whole floor and tell your wife: "I waxed the kitchen floor for you while you were out because I love you."

Earn a few bonus points... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p.s. Hide the kitchen knives, just in case...

While on the subject of beeswax while working on a little project i spilled about a pint of very hot beeswax on the kitchen floor. The floor is vinyl. This occurred yesterday and it is good and cool now. Anyone got a quick
way to get it off.

You can try lightly warming the wax with a hairdryer and a dull scraper to get the bulk of it up and salvaged. The rest you can absorb into newspaper with an old iron set on low heat. A couple sheets of newspaper, then some butcher paper over that will draw the wax into the newspaper. Use LOTS of newspaper and repeat until the spillage is all absorbed.

Don't let the floor get too hot or the vinyl will peel from the backing and you can then "surprise" Mrs Snake-eyes with that new kitchen floor you been planning on :) :)

Save that newspaper that absorbed all the wax too. You can make firestarters or Cub Scout Candles with it.

Good luck
vic

MM & Vic
Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I think it will
be a combination of the ice&scrape and the iron and news
paper.
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back