• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oil containers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what i use. I have one in each bag. The "dip" stick allows me to place small amounts of oil just where I need it. If I really think I need something more grease like I just use a greased patch!

Attachments

• BP Oiler.JPG
    BP Oiler.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BP Oiler 2.JPG
    BP Oiler 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • BP Oiler 3.JPG
    BP Oiler 3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
When I find a decent holder , what would be your first choice in oils? Neatsfoot, Mineral, avoid the Petroleum?

I don't carry oil normally, but if I'm camping and will be out for a few day I have a small round tin container that I keep a rag soaked in castor oil in it. I used castor oil as a patch lube so that's what ended up on my rag. But it could be soaked in whatever you normally use. It's not much oil, but I can wipe everything down if it rains or slushy snow is falling.
I'm not convinced it's necessary even when out a few days, but it makes me feel better having it.

I don’t carry any type of oil in my shooting bag since I only ever take it to the range or on a morning hunt. My patch lube is spit and if I need to swab the bore I will use either spit or water.

I can't remember ever needing oil until I've finished cleaning my rifle after a day of shooting, but there have been times when I was waiting for others to finish shooting that I wanted to go ahead and clean it up there at the range and be done with it so I didn't have a rusty bore to deal with when I got home. Having some gun oil in my vehicle is close enough.

I’ve got a tin oil can from Hot Dipped Tin, excellent product, but I don’t trust it in my bag. I carry old cap box tins full of mink oil, party lube and metal protector.
I have a haversack sized bag that is full of range box stuff. Cleaning kit, some tools for emergency type jobs extra pieces it it stays in camp and not on a hunt or it’s in the car if I’m at the range
Mink oil for "party lube"?
May I suggest KY jelly instead...?:)

Petroleum-based oil will become nearly unusable in the cold. Synthetic much less so. Wade & shoot duck hunting, Browning Oil congealed so as to gum up my 10 gauge unmentionable pump. I tend to over-lube, but after switching to synthetic RemOil, never had that problem again. Military oil/lube individual "bottles" have been around forever with many variations. M-1 carbine oilers no bigger than a ballpoint pen barrel to Russian large ones come to mind.

I picked one of these up off of ebay for something like $7 a while back. It's WWII era so not quite period correct, but is certainly closer to that and much more aesthetic than a plastic bottle. Hasn't leaked either.

In all honesty I haven't actually had reason to use it as I typically hunt my 60 acre farm and am never more than a 15 minute walk from the house. But when I start heading out into the rockies on months-long trapping expeditions (cough, cough), I'll be ready!

PS -- if it were to ever leak -- it's loaded with neat's foot oil -- not a terrible thing to have on my leather shooting bag.

View attachment 290960
I've been using one of these for just under 50 years for my bore cleaner, No. 13 & 'Ol Thunder, never had a leak!

I have a brass "oiler" in each bag. it is the long pencil shaped item next to the pan primer. It has an o ring etc and a dip stick. I t hold more than enough oil for any thing necessary in the field etc. It does not leak and I have had them for years. Might be ted cash but I can't honestly remember.

This is what i use. I have one in each bag. The "dip" stick allows me to place small amounts of oil just where I need it. If I really think I need something more grease like I just use a greased patch!
Theyre much the same as the brass oil bottles issued with the Lee Enfield .303 Service Rifles, the later FN SLR 7.62 Rifles in my era often had the brass oil bottles in the cleaning kit roll. Some things just can't be improved on, I managed to keep a couple of them and carry one in my shooting pouch.

There's no reason to avoid petroleum as nothing you would be oiling would be subject to the temperature and pressure of burning powder. Any good gun lube (your choice) would be OK.
Motor oils go by weight like 30 W or 40W. If you had to guess what "Weight"would a gun oil be?

Back