• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxmag1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been reading up on "Ohio Longrifles" Volume 1 & 2. Really love those halfstock rifles. Anyone you know of who makes a kit or builds in that style? I'm thinking a .36 for Rabbits and Squirrels.

Track may have a parts set. A lot of their parts sets are incomplete and have been for years. I used 13/16" barrel for a build. At the time I like the idea of lighter. Now I would use a heavier, more authentic barrel. Also a bolster in a 45 cal 13/16" barrel may be a bit sketchy.

Be aware that the butplate is not usable with a modern shooting stance. You may have to modify it.

While not a “kit in the current usage, Petaconica offers the parts for the Ohio rifle. I amusing a stock and barrel provided by them to work on an Ohio inspired half stock. I am using (or attempting to use) a side slapper lock In place of the more usual lock.

I am extremely partial to the plains/half-stock rifle. Track used to offer Kit Carson and Jim Bridger half-stock kits, but I just looked and they've discontinued them. They still sell the plans for the Kit Carson rifle, and most of the parts - or at least they are still listed. That's a shame, I have a grand nephew named 'Carson' and I was thinking of getting or building for him, that kit for his 14th birthday (he's currently 3).

There was a talented gunsmith in Oregon who ran an outfit called Powder Keg Rifleworks - beautiful work, but his website went down many years ago and I never read anything else about him. Let me see if I can find a pic I saved. I liked it so much I hoped one day to have something like it:
PowderKegRifleWorks.jpg

Most custom work and kits always seem to be full-stock rifles from Eastern seaboard, Pennsylvania or Kentucky style, etc.

Latest posts

Back