• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need advice on vincent ohio rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase the vincent ohio kit from TOW. I don have much funds on limited income. 65 yrs old. Is the vincent ohio half stock a good choice. I just don't want low quality or crocket type. Looking to build a little higher end. Nothing against crocket.I like the ohio vincent look. Oh ya should I look for a 40 barrel or is 45 cal good enough. No deer hunting just paper and squirrels. Thanks. Pm me or post here

If you like the Ohio Vincent in .40 buy it.

Especially if you're not hunting with it.

The first thing that comes to mind is usually the correct decision.

Last edited:
The Vincent is a very comfortable rifle to shoot. Check out Pecatonica before you decide who to buy from. I would give more serious thought to the 36 for your intended use. Not sure of your background in building or the tools you may/may not have, but the Vincent will be some serious work. Not that it is anything different from other half stocks, but it's size requires careful work. I have built a few of them and found them fun to shoot as long as you shoulder them properly. That butt plate design is for the bicep of the arm, not the shoulder.

There is at least one 45 Seneca currently for sale on this forum and they have a similar feel.

I really don't need alot more work than the Tn classic in 36 I just built.Its been awhile since I use to build and struggled a bit with the Tn classic. Can you give a little insight to the SERIOUS work. For some reason I've always thought half stock would be harder to built. I will have the rib and thimbles installed by where I buy it.

I will recommend the 45 calibre because it will be lighter and perform better at distance or windy conditions. This is for the target shooting part of your use. It will be fine for small game for the same reasons.

Looks like if I buy from TOW the stock comes inleted for lock,,tang,,triggers,,buttplate. Their furniture looks a tad different than Pecatonica. I have done about 5 Pecatonica stocks. All were good but either the wood was twisted or I screwed up. Barrel doesn't seen to fit in the channel very well.Probably me

I'm talking the last one I did. Probably was me messed up. Seriously some tell me what is more difficult on a half stock opposed to full stock. And does the Vincent half stock feel like a youth rifle. Don't want that kids gun feel.

I had a Vincent .40 built in 1992. It has been a fine target rifle. It has been to many matches local, regional and national (Friendship, Ind.) I found it to be a good choice.

for your perusal - IMG_0382.jpgIMG_0383.jpg
To answer your question, the under barrel rib and pipes can add a degree of difficulty if you are not familiar with the process.

My Pecatonica kit took a bunch of work to complete, all the inletting was small. I'm fine with that and I had fun doing it.

I've never seen a Kibler, but from the photo's seen here all the inletting is finished and ready to assemble and shoot if you didn't want to put a finish on the wood or the metal.

I have had a custom built Vincent in .40 caliber for nearly 35 years. It has become my rifle of choice through the years. I have taken everything from squirrels to hogs and deer with it and it is not for sale. Here is a link to an article on my blog I am including simply for the picture.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/search?q=Vincent
I think you would be impressed with the rifle and the .40 caliber

For all the things you'll be using the rifle for I don't there is any need to go above .40, even a .36 will do you just fine. But if you ever hunt deer you'll need a .45.

I like @Crow#21957's thoughts about the Vincent rifle. You should be able to get a kit with a 13/16" across the flats barrel in 40 or 36. Tapered would be ideal, but hard to find. Straight is also good for later in the percussion lock era Vincent rifles. I'm pretty sure TotW gets their stock from Pecatonica. The advantage of Pecatonica is that you could get a stock that does not have the lock inlet. Shooting off the bicep is a much more secure off-hand hold and can be more of a challenge to shoot off a rest.

As pointed out, these kits are more along the set of parts rather than a ready to assemble kit. You will end up with a rifle that is truly yours.

Go for it!

Back