• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh boy! Another patch lube post.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone ever use aerosol products like Hornady One Shot or Lyman Quick Shot case lube to spray down material for cut patches? I bought a can of the Lyman stuff for metallic reloading and did't like it too much so I'm thinking of re purposing it to a superior sport... SDS says lard is a main component so it can't be that bad... :dunno:

Except when hunting I just use spit for targets/match shooting. Ifs it’s wet and as slimy as spit it’ll probably do good lol.
Mix in some juice from chewing tobacco and it works much more better. I know. A friend and I could be seen on the firing line with a cloth strip hanging from our mouths while loading and shooting. But then, we were the only two people that shot muzzle loaders at the R/P club.

I have tried lanolin. It is a likely ingredient in case lube. Lanolin is to slick. Accuracy suffers in my experience. It could be powder burn is less consistent if the lube is to slippery. Don't know, I do know water bases stuff shoots better at the range.

Lots of stuff works, it probably will not hurt anything.

Anyone ever use aerosol products like Hornady One Shot or Lyman Quick Shot case lube to spray down material for cut patches?
Yup! A bunch of folks have.
That's why they still sell the stuff as case lube, and have never mentioned the stuff being used as a good patch lube in their marketing.
😇

p.s. honestly,, the stuff has never been meant to be burned at high temp and under pressure, it's case lube, made, designed and used to prevent galling of metals during pressured friction metal contact.
The stuff has nothing to do with making cotton fabric while it's being burned,, slippery.

Last edited:
I don't know about regrowing hair, but my mix of bee's wax and olive oil is not only a good bullet lubricant, it will keep what hair you have in place.
when applied liberally to your head it will always be with you when you are loading in the field. but becomes a real mess in late JULY, and starts to run, then you get it off of your collar!

How about this stuff? Smells and feels like the main ingredient is beeswax.
I don't put glockh in my remaining hair, but I understand that in the old days, the wily backwoodsman slicked up his hair for the Saturday night barn dance, then slept a good night on his pillow in the heat, and in the morning he could cut up the pillow case for pre-lubed patches.
At least that's the story I just made up.
DSC03321.JPG

then surely any liquid would serve the same purpose.
Well he's not using a liquid, he asking about an aerosol. Sure, you can keep on spraying until the application has saturated the cloth.
But now you have a liquid that has been chemically altered to be delivered in an aerosol application.
AND, the liquid being delivered has been manufactured to a specific task: metal to metal contact.

In reality, homo sapient saliva, indeed does have "lubrication" properties,,
,,you'll learn that as your get older,, 😉

How about this stuff? Smells and feels like the main ingredient is beeswax.
I don't put glockh in my remaining hair, but I understand that in the old days, the wily backwoodsman slicked up his hair for the Saturday night barn dance, then slept a good night on his pillow in the heat, and in the morning he could cut up the pillow case for pre-lubed patches.
At least that's the story I just made up.
View attachment 91861
No thanks, I'm a Dapper Dan man! I don't want no Fop either!

Last edited:
Well he's not using a liquid, he asking about an aerosol. Sure, you can keep on spraying until the application has saturated the cloth.
But now you have a liquid that has been chemically altered to be delivered in an aerosol application.
AND, the liquid being delivered has been manufactured to a specific task: metal to metal contact.

In reality, homo sapient saliva, indeed does have "lubrication" properties,,
,,you'll learn that as your get older,, 😉
That’s interesting. An aerosol isn’t a liquid. It’s a gas maybe ??? I use Ballistol in both an aerosol and a liquid. The liquid actually came with a spray pump.
Isn’t lead a metal, at 80 years of age I’ve still got a lot to learn apparently. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back