• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Off to a slow start

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a SMR right after christmas and had a blast doing it. I ordered a woodsrunner with a cherry stock and it has been a struggle ever since. A communication problem over the wood cause a 2 month wait but we got that sorted out and my rifle came in last week.
when i went to take the lock apart the frizzed screw was stuck. I bared down on it and broke the screw driver tip off in the screw.
I picked at the sliver of metal for a while but could not get it out of the screw. I should have quit right then and sent it back to Jim but I have a bear hunt next month that I really want to use this rifle on. I decided to try to cut the metal out of the screw with a dremal tool. it worked like a charm but when I tried to get the screw out it twisted one side of the head off. I drilled the rest of the head off and ordered another screw and spring.

I also decided to use LMF to finish the stock rather than the chambers oil I used on the SMR.
For me, it is a lot harder to work with. I have 5 coats of sealer and 2 coats of finish on it so far and the finish is still pretty bland looking. The finish gets tacky almost as soon as you get started rubbing it on.

My question for the pros is….. If I can’t get the LMR to get shiny enough to suit me. Can i put a coat of tru-oil over the Permelyn or would i have to strip it and start over?

On a better not the LMF browning did a wow good job on my barrel

Back