• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd results; bench vs. offhand shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sights on a bench rest rifle are a lot higher off the barrel so they don't have to be over the rifle to line up with the sights. With the much lower open sights on an offhand rifle ...
You missed the point, we are not comparing the sights on what you are calling a bench rest rifle versus those on a hunting or target longrifle.

The original poster was asking about the difference between shooting a longrifle from a bench versus shooting the SAME rifle offhand … two entirely different questions … reading is fundamental, LOL!
:ghostly:

Before shooting from a bench , test the bench to check it's stability. Got fooled once at a local range. Found what looked like a solid bench , but pushed on the bench top w/one finger repeatedly , and the bench had a front to back oscillation , that was almost undetectable. Cost me 5 perfectly good handloads , 'til I discovered the cause of my rifle's inaccuracy. Ya just gotta check everything sometimes.

You missed the point, we are not comparing the sights on what you are calling a bench rest rifle versus those on a hunting or target longrifle.

The original poster was asking about the difference between shooting a longrifle from a bench versus shooting the SAME rifle offhand … two entirely different questions … reading is fundamental, LOL!
:ghostly:
You missed my point that when shooting an offhand rifle off a bench you need to set the bench up differently so that you can line up the sights and have your cheek on the stock like when you are shooting offhand. If you look at the post I replied to THAT individual was complaining about having to be over the stock when shooting off a bench.

Back in the old days when my eyes were much better I shot a wad of matches off hand and off of cross sticks. Ranges varied from 25 to 100 yards. I sighted both full stock flintlock rifles in off of a sandbag/bench setup with the muzzle end rested on the sandbag. I shot cross stick matches with the muzzle rested on the cross sticks that had a thick piece of leather glued to the sticks. Used the same rifles for off hand shooting, obviously with a different hand attachment to the rifle. Both rifles shot center off of the cross sticks and off hand. Loads varied slightly depending on range. When sighting in originally, I worked with a chronograph to find out what load gave me the most consistent velocity with the smallest deviation between shots. This was the most accurate load in both rifles, regardless of how they were supported. Both rifles have slow twist barrels that allow some adjustment up and down in charges without significant differences in accuracy. The same process produced the same results on my new fangled caplock rifle.

... I tried a five shot group from an semi kneeling offhand position and put five shots inside 2" almost making one ragged hole....
I've found shooting offhand from a non-standing position produces superior results. I'm tall with long arms and long legs, and it's difficult holding the sight picture steady. I like shooting from a kneeling (one knee down on the ground) or crouched position (elbow supported) or even a sitting (legs crossed and elbow supported on raised knee) position. That is, when I'm at a range where the RSO's know me and know that I know what I'm doing, so I don't get any guff about non-standard shooting positions, or they're too anal about the fire line. I haven't done any prone shooting, yet, but that's next to try when the opportunity presents (and I remember to bring ground cover, hah.) IMO shooting stance is grossly overrated as a contributor to shot placement, and the main thing is just keeping your sight alignment steady through the entire shot, whatever it takes to do that. For me, standing is more difficult. Adapt to circumstances and surroundings and be creative to use what's available to hold that sight picture. Your body parts or adjacent structures. Whatever works best in the situation. ;)

Last edited:
Fluke probably. The other day I shot groups with .012, .015 and .018 patches. Shot my best and worst group with the .012. Expected it to be the worst, but not the best also. Sometimes there's just no explaining it.

Back