• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

odd fluted BP Cylinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleete1948

36 Cal.
Reaction score
odd fluted BP Cylinder in 44 Cal with the markings 346 on the nipple side Can anyone identify it for me and give a idea what it might be worth it seem to be a spare but from what manufacturer it doesn't fit my 1851 Pietta

Thanks red rooster

As hawkeye 2 said a picture (s) would help. Also the diameter of arbor/cylinder pin hole.

Sounds like it could be for an 1860 Colt... Is it half-fluted or full fluted? Any proof marks or other marks besides the number you mentioned?

There are at least two different outside diameters on the ratchet on the various Colt 1851, 1860 and 1861 cylinders.

yes it is a reproduction, the flutes on the cylinder go all the way back to the nipple end. And it was kin of strange it came with a Pietta brass frame 1851 that i bought on line as a extra cylinder. and when i got it into day and tried to put on the pistol frame it would not fit. the indexer is to thick to fit in side the ring of the frame to engage the index lever. the diameter of arbor/cylinder pin hole is 0.430 the only proof marks are 346 on the nippel end between the cylinders 3 4 6 the indexer O,D, is0.697 or there abouts

What you call the indexer I call the ratchet.

Based on the full length flutes I think it is likely a Uberti 1860 Colt cylinder. At the moment can not recall other makers doing full flutes.

Value could be near what a new identical one sells for depending on how you market the cylinder. You could check sites like VTI Gun Parts and Dixie to see retail prices.

You might list it free here in the classifieds with the caveat that you are not sure of maker.

Your description sounds like a cylinder for a Centaure made by Fabriques d’Armes Unies de Liège (FAUL) in Liège, Belgium in the 1960's and early 70's. These were the first copies of the Colt 1860 New Model Army's to hit the replica market -- before the Italians. They are collectable and were sold in this country by Centennial Arms Corp. as the “1960 NEW MODEL ARMY”. They were a close copy of the originals and parts (including screws) will interchange with the originals. Take a look examples of cylinders at the website for collectors (http://www.1960nma.org) under "Major Characteristics" to see if yours matches.

Back