• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oct to round barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Lets see the different octagonal to round barrels.
I'm curious about the variations, french/english; number/length of flats, sighting flat, etc.
for example, how do french fusil barrels (with their myriad differences) vary from carolina guns, wilson trade guns, fowling pieces, etc. . .

not original, but check out this pic:
howmuchinbever.jpg

I thought that top flat was well represented.

Lots of variation; too complex to generalize across countries, gun styles, and the centuries. In general fowling guns had long barrels of larger gauge than trade guns which were dual purpose (ball and shot).

yeah pobably way too general. I was just curious about the variation in the flats. seems interesting that so many smoothbores had octagonal to round barrels

It was a weight /balance thing. The octagon was easier to forge and was heavier. Since guns have the greatest pressure at the breech the breeches were thicker and further from the breech the barrels were turned round and thinner to give better balance. :idunno:

This is one example of an English made octagon to round.
100_1723.jpg

100_1714.jpg

100_1727.jpg

This is an example of what was referred to as a Spanish form. Octagon to round with a turned ring.
This is a Spanish made barrel from Barcelona circa mid 18th century and mounted on an English gun.
100_2059.jpg

100_2058.jpg

100_2061.jpg

100_2031.jpg

100_2040.jpg

Thanks for posting these pictures.

One of the things I notice on original barrels are how soft the corners are.

I really like that you provided views showing how the octagon portion of this barrel, like many, is not octagon at all.

Enjoy, J.D.

Hey Mike,

I've often wondered how true that is. I would expect to see areas simular to those near the standing breech on this example to show less wear. Seems as though it would be more protected.

Sometimes it appears too even to be normal wear. Is it possible 18th century barrels were made with soft edges?

I haven't seen any orginals of that vintage that lacked enough use and wear to tell so I can't judge. I have seen several 19th century pieces with sharp corners.

Thanks, J.D.

:idunno: This should be easy to solve. If long use resulted in significant wear or softening of the edges then looking at the edges underneath the barrel should show how sharp they were at the time of the build,right? :idunno:
Of course that assumes the gunsmith spent as much time carefully filing the bottom flats as he did the top.

It probably varied a lot originally and maybe was dependent on the cost of the gun. The rifle Shumway showed as #42 in Rifles of Colonial America has quite sharp edges. On the other hand cheap trade guns may have had a little less filework on the barrels.

Latest posts

Back