• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Now THIS was one heck of a ‘flash in the pan’!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My copy of the alleged ‘Mayflower’ (think Pilgrims, etc.) wheellock carbine, as built by Brian Anderson, has never failed to fire or has never had a flash in the pan.

Tonight at the range, other guys shooting were absolutely fascinated by the 460-year old technology.

And of course, as fate would have it, when showing it to them … it did not fire. Primed again, flash in the pan, but did not fire. WTH? I’ve shot up to 28 shots in a row without any issues, without even cleaning the pyrite or anything … but of course this would be humidity dependent, given the proclivities of our black powdah!

I don’t get it, what’s going on with this carbine, it is never failed the fire. I cannot precisely say what caused me to pull the load, but look what happened! The powdah measure body had separated from the end cap that was fastened to a thong affixed to my possibles bag.

The ‘tube section’ dropped off when I loaded the powder charge and then I rammed the ball down on top of it …

2A48FD4E-63B1-4EA2-BE33-344E56632128.jpeg

55A94E2D-E335-497F-ADDC-162A9AABE45F.jpeg

Once cleared … she continued to fire all afternoon long, and everyone loved it! I was able to keep all shots in a 1-1/2” group at 25-yards offhand, good enough for this weekend’s woodswalk!

Which triggered a memory, years ago, when we were young and stupid; we used to have mock battles using our muzzle loaders, the bloke next to me was shot in the upper right arm by a 44/40 cartridge case that had been doing service as the ramming end of the rod, it had come off unnoticed and became an effective projectile.
We gave up the game!

You are lucky it didn't fire. That could have worked as a barrel obstruction, and bulged or burst the breech.
You must really pound a ball down, it looks like you even split the charger!

Back