• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nother new guy and rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger2Tony

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post. I purchased a muzzle loader stamped "NAVY ARMS,.RIDGEFIELD, NJ USA. It is a 58 caliber and appears to use #11 caps. Does anybody know if there are disassembly instructions or spare nipples available? I'd also like to switch over to musket caps like my other rifle. I don't know how to post pictures, but appears to be a "Hawkins" type.

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

TIA, Tony

:grin: Welcome to the forum!! That rifle likely has metric threads for the nipple, AMPCO & TRESCO make replacement nipples that will fit about any thread size and come in Musket Cap style. Most any of the vendors either have them or can order for you. Dixie, TOW, The Gun Works Emporium, or any others out there. All else fails determine what size thread that your other rifle has and tap the "new rifle" for the same size and you will have reduced the need for more spares. Others will likely chime in with more advice for possible sources closer to home for you. :grin:

This is what I found on the Dixe Gun Works site.

Available in four thread sizes ”“ STATE CORRECTLY WHEN ORDERING. (3) 6 x 1MM ”“ Traditions, CVA, and Spanish made arms (2) 6 X .75mm ”“ Lyman, Cabela’s and Italian made arms (4) 5/16 X 24 ”“ Standard musket thread (1) ¼ X 28 ”“ Thompson Center, Remington, and Knight.

There seems to be two metric sizes. I think if I figure out the thread type, I'm half way home.

Hardware stores have tread gauges, so .........

Tony

Badger2Tony said:
I'd also like to switch over to musket caps like my other rifle.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice rifle. # 11 caps work well with real BP. I have a 54 cal. that I bought that had musket nipple on it. I replaced it, to use #11 caps. The hammer lined up better and it works just fine. I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it. But you shouldn't have any trouble finding a musket nipple to fit. Have fun with it.

Unfortunately, black powder isn't sold around here.

Any disassembly instructions? The only screws are on the trigger gaurd. There is also a metal pin through the hand guard. I'd like to take it apart for cleaning. The ramrod also keeps falling out. There is probably a spring inside that needs to get fixed.

TIA, Tony

It is a Navy Arms Morse/Navy rifle. American walnut stock, 26" barrel, 7 3/4 lbs. Sold new in 1974 for $80. Other than that i can't help though.

The 1987 Dixie catalog also lists the Navy Arms Morse Navy Rifle in .50 caliber for $150.

It says,
"This American made percussion replica features a precision rifled pre-straightened Navy Arms barrel assuring the shooter of the highest degree of accuracy obtainable from a muzzle loading rifle. Barrel length is 26 1/2, overall 42 1/2" and weight is 8 1/4 lbs. A good looking gun with highly polished brass action complimenting the rich oil finished American walnut stock. An ideal primitive hunting rifle at a modest price. Blued octagon barrel is .50 caliber..."

Back