• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-lead Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pa we can shoot what we want unless it's at waterfowl then it's gotta be lead free. I'm fairly certain that's a federal law though.

The one I bought (88% bismuth and 12% tin) was for round .454 balls. I'll look into the links you all sent for shotgun shot (which I will need to buy too).

Thanks again.

Years ago I got a load of surplus ammo crates that were tin lined. I've got a lot of sheet tin, and melted down metal from lids and odd corners. As a result, I have a lot of tin ingots to use in the future to make pewter for casting nosecaps, tomahawh handle bands and such. Meanwhile, I cast up a bunch of tin balls to try as PRB's. They work OK, but have much more drop out at 100 yards than pure lead. I suppose tin would work fine for buckshot-type loads in a smoothbore.

Bismuth..... back in the late 90's I went north into BC managing hazmat clean up for two years at a smelter called Cominco. They had tons and tons of Bismuth each day. Had I known back then what I know today I would have gone home with lots and I'd be rich today. :doh: Instead I went home with lots of lead.

You can also try Ecotungsten.com
Its not cheep at $80 a Kilo (2.2 lbs)

Its supposed to perform nicely I was going to get some but have not taken the plunge.

Considering heavy shot sells for $35+ for a box of 10 shells, 2 lbs should last you a bit.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rotometals offering is $15 per pound. The density appears to be about 70% of lead. That is roughly the difference between lead and steel shot, density wise.
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadfreebulletalloy.htm

I have no idea how it casts and the final diameter after shrinkage.

It may work with a bullet. For instance a 30 cal cast bullet that normally weighs 220 grains would come up at 154 grains. That would work. A 500 grain 45-70 ends up at 350 grains, seems usable. With load development it may shoot very well due to increased bearing surface (length).

With cast bullets in cartridge guns you need to match the hardness to the load. Light loads get soft bullets, hot loads get hard bullets. If you get this wrong in either direction you get leading. I have no idea how hard the Rotometals alloy is.

Unfortunately your 50 cal ball casts at only 122 grains. That is not OK for deer hunting. It is like firing a ping-pong ball. My solution would be to use a long cast bullet with a sabot and a fast twist barrel.

IMHO, and it is a well studied and informed opinion, is that going to such extremes over a scientifically invalid issue stinks. I would never mess with non lead projectiles unless it was absolutely necessary. Lead is superior to everything else in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. So casting a .454 ball with 88% bismuth and 12% tin is not dense enough for deer (enough grain)? What about conical?

I think I'll go with the Ballistics Product ITX-10. $24 a pound. Can't afford the ecotungsten. Thanks everyone!

Back