• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-lead round ball for the Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I live in the Great (Lead-free) central coast of California, I can't take a smoothbore musket hunting for pigs or deer unless I use non-lead ball. I have found .601" ball available from ITX, so I can take the fusil. But is there a 12 gauge ball available for the Brown Bess? I can't find it. Help appreciated. And Merry Christmas!!!

I suggest you contact the California Department of Fish am wildlife.....as all non lead ammunition must be on their "approved" list.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified

Are they really afraid a goose is going to eat a .70 caliber lead ball? Never mind. I understand.

The next thing is that will require round balls to be made of compressed goose down, so as not to hurt the geese in any way.

colorado clyde said:
I suggest you contact the California Department of Fish am wildlife.....as all non lead ammunition must be on their "approved" list.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified
The heading to that page says nonlead ammunition.
We don't use ammunitions!

Our law is written for cartridges and nothing is said against a muzzleloader!

So......

Ball bearings work great. Just don't dry ball. I have found that the perfectly round and lighter weight steel balls are pretty accurate. In looking around on Google I can find lots of ball bearings up to 15mm (60 Caliber), but you will need 18mm for a Bess.

Measure your bore (lots of variation between makes of Bess's), allow for some patch thickness, then go looking for brass balls. RoundBall here on the forums did that for his 58 caliber, then used the brass on deer with perfect results. If a .570 brass ball or so will swat a deer, a .730 or thereabouts will do for deer and lots bigger.

Go looking in the past for posts by RoundBall on brass balls. He thoroughly researched and objectively reported it. His posts are so good he should be writing books.

Here is one source that lists 11/16" brass balls in cartons of 200. At .6875" they would take a fairly thick patch if your Bess bore us up there, but 3/4" (.750") would be too large for almost any Bess I've heard of. At 19/pound, they're just under an ounce each. Plenty big medicine for anything I'd want to shoot.

The lack of lead projectiles has nothing to do with waterfowl folks....it's because the California Condor has had some alleged lead problems and they think it might be from lead projectiles...and since a large lead ball might fragment...they are banned in some areas.

The answer is simple, get the brass balls as shown by Brownbear, but make a paper cartridge that will act as a "shot cup" to allow the brass ball to meet the interior diameter of your bore....OR use a good wad and a 10 gauge shot cup.

I recommend against steel balls as they are prone to ricochet even at slow velocities and can be dangerous to the shooter.

Steel Ball Epic Fail happens about 2/3 of the way through this video.

LD

Several issues here. #1 is the unfortunate circumstances that have you living in an essentially un-American state. :(
The size is quite small for a Brown Bess. The Ped. BBs bore sizes do vary so measure before you get anything.
I don't know about other requirements but you might try zinc. It is lighter than lead but still a ball that size would be a knocker-outer.

Maybe some corduroy would work for patches.
Got marbles on the shelf waiting for the fifty smooth flinter that I'm gonna try with corduroy.

Rifleman1776 said:
juice jaws said:
What do you think of using BB's for bird and small game hunting? They are steel. Would they need a shot cup?

Not a good idea. And, yes on the shot cup.

Why not a good idea ??????

My only possible concern would be legality.....
Beyond that I have had no problems.....But one does have to adapt his hunting style to what he is using.....
I use BB's for shooting rabbits, woodchucks and other vermin in my garden, that way I don't contaminate my soil.

As for the whole shot cup thing....
I have fired Crossman BB's without a shot cup....and they left vertical lines in the bore....
However! they were not permanent....I assume it was merely the copper coating being deposited ....but cannot be certain....
Others may have had different experiences... :idunno:

I recommend against steel balls as they are prone to ricochet even at slow velocities and can be dangerous to the shooter.

OUCH! :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back