• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no sparks from small siler lock -HELP!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsetrader

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My small siler lock does not make a spark! The frizzen cleaned with alcohol ,opens and shows even marks from the flint but 80 percent no sparks.... used 3 diffrent flints.... what can I do? :(

Send the frizzen back to Jim Chambers to be either hardened, or replaced. That is why there is a warranty on the Siler/Chambers locks.

What kind of flints? Cut flints don't seem to spark well. English flints or Rich Pierce flints do work well.

God bless

You might try loosening all the internal screws on the lock a smidgen*. There's a remote possibility something is binding resulting in insufficient speed/force to make good sparks. :2

* smidgen- calibrated unit of adjustment required to make a thing work better. :)

One other thing just occured to me. I have a Chambers Queen Anne pistol lock that appears to strike the frizzen correctly but if the flint and leather are not positioned correctly the top jaw of the lock or the leather will push open the frizzen without creating a spark. In that case you can raise the flint with thicker leather, install the flint more forward in the cock or use a longer flint.

Salt

Old Salt said:
You might try loosening all the internal screws on the lock a smidgen*. There's a remote possibility something is binding resulting in insufficient speed/force to make good sparks. :2

* smidgen- calibrated unit of adjustment required to make a thing work better. :)

Or, tighten the top jaw down as tight as you can.
A loose flint will not spark, and sometimes all it takes is tightening the top jaw screw a smidgen.

Hmmmm, I have always wondered how much a smidgen was? And how many smidgens make a boat load? :grin:

God bless

The smidgen is actually a unit of length so it would be more correct to ask how many smidgens in a boat length? The answer would vary with the length of the boat, but in any case, would be many skoshes--an ancient unit of linear measure taken from the length of the upper lip of a Babylonian king named Geddiyappahoss.

horsetrader said:
My small siler lock does not make a spark! The frizzen cleaned with alcohol ,opens and shows even marks from the flint but 80 percent no sparks.... used 3 diffrent flints.... what can I do? :(

I hate to ask, are you sure the frizzen has been hardened? Where did you get the lock from?

horsetrader said:

Try a file on the frizzen face. It should be too hard to file. Another trick is to slightly belt sand the frizzen face, just enough to shine it up. Whoever did the hardening may not have done it right and the frizzen may have surface decarb problems.
If its hard and the sanding don't help then...

Put the frizzen in the oven preheated to 375-380 degrees WITH A OVEN THERMOMETER.
Cook the degreased part for about 1 hour, I hang mine on a wire, then shut off the oven and pull it out when cool enough to handle.
Frizzen may be too hard this should fix it if it is. Its a good idea in any case.
Put a small drop of oil on the pivot pins of the tumbler and the other wear/pivot points of the springs etc.

Dan

Good post Dan. Horsetrader, do as Dan says and try the file, if the file cuts the frizzen it is too soft. If not, try the rest of Dan's suggestion about the oven. However, since you say that the flint is "marking" the frizzen, I have a feeling it may be too soft.

Back