• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt For 2A

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello again.

I can’t seem to produce any spark on my flintlock pistol. It’s a Japanese Light Dragoon .67 caliber. I just picked up some three-quarter inch English flints. I have tried it with a bevel up and the bevel down. I may have read somewhere about these Japanese frizzens not being hardened. Maybe I don’t have the right size flint? Perhaps my spring is worn out? i have attached pics in hopes it might be helpful. I think you kindly in advance
AC9B1674-65EA-4B56-AF9F-ECDCD4C326C3.jpeg
4C40C89C-B281-4678-9451-9B6C1F722205.jpeg
A616CA71-2F08-41E8-A7E2-9393D3271A62.jpeg

Hello again.

I can’t seem to produce any spark on my flintlock pistol. It’s a Japanese Light Dragoon .67 caliber. I just picked up some three-quarter inch English flints. I have tried it with a bevel up and the bevel down. I may have read somewhere about these Japanese frizzens not being hardened. Maybe I don’t have the right size flint? Perhaps my spring is worn out? i have attached pics in hopes it might be helpful. I think you kindly in advanc
Hello again.

I can’t seem to produce any spark on my flintlock pistol. It’s a Japanese Light Dragoon .67 caliber. I just picked up some three-quarter inch English flints. I have tried it with a bevel up and the bevel down. I may have read somewhere about these Japanese frizzens not being hardened. Maybe I don’t have the right size flint? Perhaps my spring is worn out? i have attached pics in hopes it might be helpful. I think you kindly in advanceView attachment 100369
Your frizzen is most likely too soft. Take a sharp file and run it at the lower part of the fizzen where the flint never hits. Go easy at first, it the file is cutting, it is too soft. The file should be sliding over the frizzen, not cutting. You also have a dangerous situation with your lock/barrel fit. Prime will go behind the lock and when ever you do get it to spark the powder behind the lock will raise a big issue. That frizzen can be case hardened if is too soft.
Larry

Almost certainly a soft frizzen. When Dixie sold these back in the 60's and 70's they offered to harden the frizzens for an additional fee. When a seller offers a service to fix a known problem, well, there's often a problem.

The answer is most definitely a soft frizzen. Just this morning my dad gave me another reproduction flintlock and I put his frizzen on my pistol. Now I have spark. This will give me a chance to learn how to harden the other frizzen. Thank you all.

Back