• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No firearm, just the buttplate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondoro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I got two of them in a junk sale and I wondered if anyone can tell me more about them?

Looks like iron\steel with that curve it would be for a 1830 and beyond full or half stock late flint or well into the percussion period type rifle. It looks unused with no holes drilled for screws. The thickness along the edges would need to be filed down quite a bit after being installed on a gun. The comb extension isn't real wide like you see on many southern guns but have seen a few with the slim lower profile. I would say you have a start on a future project there.

It is iron/steel for sure, what you see is after I sanded much of the rust off.

Makes me wonder where these were made and how they survived without ever being used. I bought a cheap 2x6 and I plan to inlet this into that to see how hard it is. If I can manage that I've got an old Traditions gun with a horrifically ugly rubber butt pad that I could put this on.

what you have appears stylistically consistent with a southern mountain rifle. these guns shoulder at the insertion of the bicep (rather than the more common 'pocket of the shoulder') so shooting them takes some getting used to. once you figure this out, they're fun to shoot, and they have a utilitarian gracefulness which many (myself included) find irresistible.

look deep into your computer monitor ...

you are feeling sleepy ...

very sleepy ...

you will find a nice looking piece of wood, which you will turn into a stock for your new rifle. it will have a small to middling bore, say in the .45 range. you might or might not have a 'banana' patchbox. you should consider a durs egg lock. you will have a 'bean' style trigger guard. it will be accurate, and will be such fun to shoot that you will sell all your centerfire stuff so that you can fund your new mania ... when I snap my fingers, you will be fully awake ...
:shocked2:

good luck with your project!

MSW :haha: :rotf: ....that's EXACTLY the i have gone! I have a new project ....Christian spring rifle.......

:slap:

Haven't even shot the last 3 I made...... :doh:

Marc n tomtom

pondoro said:
Makes me wonder where these were made and how they survived without ever being used.
It's a typical wax cast steel/iron,, nothing special they still make them today.
They survived because who ever bought them changed their mind and they landed in the bone box, I've got 2-3 butt plates laying around here I didn't like but thought I might hang onto,, :idunno:
Nothing mysterious at all

I concur. They are typical percussion era Butt Plates most likely reproductions.
Originals tend to be a lot thinner and a great many Southern Mountains were forged from two pieces of sheet iron riveted and copper soldered together.

Looks like 2 Mtn. rifle buttplates from Dixie, from the 1970's. Given the Width of them, you may want to set them up to that Traditions before ya go whacking, as gonna be a BIG difference. End result will most likely be a Traditions rifle with a funky looking buttplate installed.

Keith Lisle

kaintuck said:
MSW :haha: :rotf: ....that's EXACTLY the i have gone! I have a new project ....Christian spring rifle.......

:slap:

Haven't even shot the last 3 I made...... :doh:

Marc n tomtom

emphasis added

shoot them? who has the time to shoot them? I'm too busy building them...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Birddog6 said:
Looks like 2 Mtn. rifle buttplates from Dixie, from the 1970's. Given the Width of them, you may want to set them up to that Traditions before ya go whacking, as gonna be a BIG difference. End result will most likely be a Traditions rifle with a funky looking buttplate installed.

Keith Lisle

The Traditions butt is much thicker, it looks like a modern rifle butt, rubber buttpad and all. So I'd have to thin the entire stock. I'd be able to leave a small cheek piece if I do that.

Back