• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Excuses NEW 54 cal 485 gr bullet Reviews?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m surprised to learn that bullets aren’t traditional… crazy 😛
3A9DC975-57F5-46F2-A9DA-51E0BFC00A93.jpeg

Yep- With my .58 it’s just a little more for that big Boar!

Very accurate with my 8Bhn round ball or REAL bullet

Always shot the TC 435 out of my .54 renegade, and now my Lyman gph, but just received a box of "no excuses 485" in .541 and a few .542 to try. Heard good reviews, will post when I see for myself. I was always happy with the TC 435 on elk, deer and moose and am hopeful the NE 485 will perform for me.

I think the Civil War showed how deadly conicals were on humans, sometimes 3 or 4 in a row. They were also deadly on a lot of horses. Round balls will do the job but beyond 100 yards and for fast reloading I'll take a conical. For everyday shooting I'll take round balls and light recoil, thank you.:ghostly:
Actually dangerous game shooters AND ACW veterans of the period observed that the round ball had better effect human or dangerous game, than the "classic" pointed minnie of their time period. The max range was considered 200 yards for hunting in Asia or Africa, but often was much much closer. See The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles. 1867

There are much better conical lead bullet designs used today. ;)

LD

Actually dangerous game shooters AND ACW veterans of the period observed that the round ball had better effect human or dangerous game, than the "classic" pointed minnie of their time period. The max range was considered 200 yards for hunting in Asia or Africa, but often was much much closer. See The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles. 1867

There are much better conical lead bullet designs used today. ;)

LD
I read that in my muzzleloading manual, as for my experience on big hogs when i move up in caliber the first caliber when using roundballs that gives me consistant low forward shoulder shot passthroughs is .58. in the manual it talked about when power is increase is needed you go up in caliber of the ball. thats not to say smaller calibers wont kill them because ive killed quite a few with .530 balls i just didnt get as good of a blood trail

Thank you. This forum is incredible with the amount of information that is shared.

Yes, loads of information. However it doesn't always equate to knowledge! 🤣
Hardens the bullet a little more.

That's going to depend on what you are casting. Pure lead won't have the necessary ingredients to harden. The whole science of it is very interesting.

I read that in my muzzleloading manual, as for my experience on big hogs when i move up in caliber the first caliber when using roundballs that gives me consistant low forward shoulder shot passthroughs is .58. in the manual it talked about when power is increase is needed you go up in caliber of the ball. thats not to say smaller calibers wont kill them because ive killed quite a few with .530 balls i just didnt get as good of a blood trail
So my comment was about the Minnie type conical of the ACW vs. the round ball..., the problem with the minnie and deflection has been solved by blunter nosed designs that are used these days. I don't think any of the well known overseas dangerous game hunters were going after anything like our big hogs today, either. ;)

LD

I’ve contemplated a ball in one barrel and a Lee Real in the other.

I know it’s difficult to believe- yet same charge… at 80 yards they impact the same poi-

Both use 8Bhn lead.

Always shot the TC 435 out of my .54 renegade, and now my Lyman gph, but just received a box of "no excuses 485" in .541 and a few .542 to try. Heard good reviews, will post when I see for myself. I was always happy with the TC 435 on elk, deer and moose and am hopeful the NE 485 will perform for me.
Where do you buy these no excuses 485 bullets?

Just read through this thread. I'm going on a hunt for Nilgai here in South Texas and I'll be using by .54 TC Hawken. I bought some No Excuses 54's. The shot pretty decent with 85 grains of FF but the slugs felt a little loose in my barrel. I'm afraid that the bullet won't stay seated. I'll try wrapping the bullets in paper to get a tighter fit at a later date.

I actually found 4 boxes of .54 Hornady Great Plains bullets. The lube is all oxidized so I will melt it off and relube. They are no longer made so I'm treating these last few like gold.

Anybody wanna send me a sampling of REAL in .54 and .58? I got postage cash. Mainly a PRB guy but wanna try em. Maybe a few .50 as well so if I keep the above I can shoot something it likes.

For a company made bullet the no excuse is a pretty decent bullet. I have tested them in 50 cal. That was back before 2006.
The biggest issue I saw back then was quality control. After the lube was melted off they ran + - 10 grains. I bought a couple hundred and did my own quality control.
Many know that my bullet of choice in 50 cal is the Lee 500S&W bullet these bullets have killed a pile of game. Not just by me and my son but many others are shooting them too.
Bullets with wide meplats hit game with authority. Bullets with wide meplats and heavy for caliber drive deep and transfer a ton of energy to the animal.

Back