• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Excuses NEW 54 cal 485 gr bullet Reviews?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartweed

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to try these at all? I shoot the 535 grain out of Thompson Center Renegade with excellent results but sadly that 535 is no longer available. But today I just discovered the 485 grain offering and it looks to be a sweet deal I've got two new 54 calibers to set up and I'm thinking I'm a lean toward the 485 in those. Anyone had a chance to fire those yet? And if so what are your thoughts on penetration versus the 535 or current 525 grain 54 offerings? I shoot the 535gr with 80 gr. Of 3f and its a great load on game and paper. TIA

Man! You fellows are rough! We have Muzzle loader flint only, clubs, muzzle loading percushion only club, modern muzzle loading club and you have to leave anything modern behind while participating in your hobby? Do as you wish I shoot these antiquated rifles so I can hunt Muzzle loading season. I carry everything I think I might need as long as the item doesn't spook game.

I was just pondering the thought of sending a .50 Renegade mint barrel to Bobby Hoyt for a fast twist 54 rebore. That Bullet was a thought- guess I’ll get a similar mold if I pursue this endeavor.

I want a fast Twist and the .50 I have is a good candidate- exterior excellent

Last edited:
Has anyone had a chance to try these at all? I shoot the 535 grain out of Thompson Center Renegade with excellent results but sadly that 535 is no longer available. But today I just discovered the 485 grain offering and it looks to be a sweet deal I've got two new 54 calibers to set up and I'm thinking I'm a lean toward the 485 in those. Anyone had a chance to fire those yet? And if so what are your thoughts on penetration versus the 535 or current 525 grain 54 offerings? I shoot the 535gr with 80 gr. Of 3f and its a great load on game and paper. TIA
Penetration? Are you talking about Rhino or elephant? 🦏🐘:D

The .58 with a real 445g drops fast

From what I read the .54 is flatter and holds its energy out there.

Don’t take my word for it tho- That’s just internet regurgitation.

Last edited:
I don‘t need that stuff. There was a reason such things never caught on back in the day. Several in fact.

Some enjoy Driving a V8 Hemi Dodge Charger- others like the Dodge Neon. To each there own.
I do like the No Excuses Bullets that are offered- I prefer the Green Mountain Lrh fast twist barrels I own. Round balls and 125+ yards don’t do as well as a big ol bullets do out there.

Last edited:
Penetration? Are you talking about Rhino or elephant? 🦏🐘:D
ML conicals did not work on them either. People need to do some reading other than gun magazine advertisements.
Sir Samual Baker decided to “improve” his 2 groove “stopping rifle“ by having a conical mould made for it. He states that this rifle never failed to “floor“ a charging Elephant. Conical got him into “..such scrapes..” that he abandoned it. All the old time ML hunters of heavy game used hardened round balls. James Forsythe in “The Sporting Rifle and It‘s Projectiles” stated that his 14 gauge rifle (69 cal) with a #15 hardened ball with 137 1/2 grains of powder would drive the ball completely through an Indian Elephants head from side to side. Selous stated that he never shot a gun that “drove“ as well as the 4 bore smooth bores he used early on. But the recoil was so fierce that he wished he had never used them. He was still hunting in Africa when WW-I erupted. You cannot make a ML into 270 or 458 no matter what you do. IMO If you want to take the risks associated with these things plus the heavier recoil and their sometimes marginal killing power then you need to find a place other than the traditional ML sites. As I have stated before they were not used to any extent back in the day no matter what Ned Roberts might have written and they certainly are not needed to cleanly kill game. AND just for the heck of it, ”energy” in the context of ML/BP arms means very little to killing power, and for that matter not very much in modern arms either. I also know some people personally who live and hunt in Canada that abandoned the conicals for hunting and they are hunting Moose in Northern BC. Why? Because the RB works better. But of course the gunwriters are not going to tell you THAT. Might hurt advertising revenue.

So Round ball is the best option?
Well,for Certain applications- I agree ,as I load em up In my Double at about 8Bhn

I do read a lot …of old Studies and Stories of the African hunters who added mercury to round balls-Since “I went there” hunting/working as a Assistant to a Professional hunter... And Yes penetration can be one subject to discuss. Large lead round ball at short distance can be exceptionally great at penetrating, Even large elephant skulls. Yet at short distance

I do not agree with round ball being the best-when the distance is extended further than your average “long” distance of say 125-150 yards. Some people do have ability to shoot further accurately. Keeping that in mind, knowing the round ball has dismal “Energy” / “Ballistics”or whatever you want to say-at distance.

So I would be pleased to use a Conical/Bullet as it would be the better choice in projectile for such longer distance-that some Terrain “requires” for hunting, With a preferred Muzzleloader traditional type rifle.

In That- particular circumstance, a 54 Bullet would be the better choice.
I certainly would prefer that while On a Expensive trophy Big game trip/hunt. That ability to reach out further can mean going home empty handed or with a trophy… Regardless of how great of a hunter you are.
ML conicals did not work on them either. People need to do some reading other than gun magazine advertisements.
Sir Samual Baker decided to “improve” his 2 groove “stopping rifle“ by having a conical mould made for it. He states that this rifle never failed to “floor“ a charging Elephant. Conical got him into “..such scrapes..” that he abandoned it. All the old time ML hunters of heavy game used hardened round balls. James Forsythe in “The Sporting Rifle and It‘s Projectiles” stated that his 14 gauge rifle (69 cal) with a #15 hardened ball with 137 1/2 grains of powder would drive the ball completely through an Indian Elephants head from side to side. Selous stated that he never shot a gun that “drove“ as well as the 4 bore smooth bores he used early on. But the recoil was so fierce that he wished he had never used them. He was still hunting in Africa when WW-I erupted. You cannot make a ML into 270 or 458 no matter what you do. IMO If you want to take the risks associated with these things plus the heavier recoil and their sometimes marginal killing power then you need to find a place other than the traditional ML sites. As I have stated before they were not used to any extent back in the day no matter what Ned Roberts might have written and they certainly are not needed to cleanly kill game. AND just for the heck of it, ”energy” in the context of ML/BP arms means very little to killing power, and for that matter not very much in modern arms either. I also know some people personally who live and hunt in Canada that abandoned the conicals for hunting and they are hunting Moose in Northern BC. Why? Because the RB works better. But of course the gunwriters are not going to tell you THAT. Might hurt advertising revenue.

Last edited:
Sectional density makes a difference in penetration. Does that not apply to muzzleloaders as well?

I've shot two white tail with a 50cal PRB. Went in, didn't come out. Shot several with 385-425gr maxis, always a big hole in and a bigger hole out. Sure, a big hard round ball will still penetrate, but it's mass and sectional density is pretty low by comparison to longer heavier conicals. Just my personal experience

Back