• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nitrated paper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Gang
I really could use some help how do I make? or where can I buy Nitrated paper from? I would really appreciate any help on this ...
my best regards aloyalistdawg :hatsoff:

Albert -
Not necessarily - only the tailor mades and then only some of those - regular handrolls such as bambu, zigzags, etc generally are not...now ask me how I know... :hmm: and people who state they are may not be correct....if all rolling papers were nitrated they would burn up without going out - roll your own and you will find different. Unnitrated rolliong papers can work Ok , but nitrated works best in my experience...

as for making it - it's easy just get some potassium nitrate http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-10333.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah- I use cigarette paper to make combustible cartridges however the paper really doesn't burn up into dust- there's residue and the BIG WORRY is if that residue holds any type of ember- BIG TROUBLE if you try loading another combustible cartridge on a live ember- the result being everything blowing up right in your face. Generally the cigarette paper works ok but I always look in the chamber pretty good before loading another round.
Finally- although I DON'T recommend it. You can make cartridges out of newspaper as long as the back is just a single layer in thickness. You don't have to break them open- the blast of the cap will fire the round BUT that paper will usually be only half burnt and the likelihood of an ember VERY POSSIBLE, so in that case you really need to completely clean each chamber. But- if you just want to try it out- it will work okay.
S. Colt used fish gut that was nitrated. Don't ask me why- I don't know but he tried a lot of different materials.

For Sharps type rifles, Brown Bess what I use, and it works well, is paper towel soaked in a saturated solution of potasium nitrate and water.
It is strong, holds shot well, and completely burns up well.
I have not had any troubles with embers in the barrel, but then again, I am not in a great hurry to reload.
Cut the paper towel to size, soak in solution, lay it on a cookie sheet to dry. ( the oven at 225F works well).
These cartridges are too bulky for revolvers.
I hope this helps.
Old Ford

The paper that is used by the major cigarette makers is treated to stop burning, just the opposite of a nitrated paper.

I don't know about the paper for the roll you own cigarettes.

Potassium Nitrate can be bought at some drug stores but it usually won't be on shelf.
If it is on a shelf it would be in the "home remedies" area.

The best source for it is in the gardening department of a home fix it up store.
It is sold as a Stump Remover and some brands like Grant's Stump Remover. I think Spectracide also makes it.

No, it isn't used to blow stumps out of the ground. Potassium Nitrate breaks down the wood fibers basically "rotting" the wood so it just falls apart.

:eek:ff
Zonie said:
~Snip~

No, it isn't used to blow stumps out of the ground. Potassium Nitrate breaks down the wood fibers basically "rotting" the wood so it just falls apart.
AWWW MAN!! I was gettin' all excited at the idea of blasting a stump out here... :haha: :rotf:

Zonie said:
Potassium Nitrate can be bought at some drug stores but it usually won't be on shelf.

The best source for it is in the gardening department of a home fix it up store.
It's also available in some drug stores as salt peter, I get it there and use it to make my corned venison.

Spence

If you are going to nitrate a bunch of paper you better give some thought to where it is going to be placed for drying. After it dries there will be dried nitrate crystals on whatever surface the paper was put on to dry. If this is a dark surface the crystals will be easy to see. Take my word for it that the female of the species can really get dramatic if those dried crystals get on her dining room table. And another thing not to do is putting the freshly nitrated paper out in the yard to dry. if the wind blows that nitrated paper around while still wet it will test your religion.

Dave

I am pretty sure flash paper is different. Flash paper is what I used when I made paper cartridges.
Yes it is nitrated but with nitric acid I believe.

I have made my own years ago but buy it now rather than mess with the acid.

It does work outstanding in comparison to standard nitrated cigarette paper.

It doesn’t burn, it flashes.

William Alexander

Why use the potassium nitrate to blow the stump? Isn't that what the black powder is for? :grin:

George said:
Zonie said:

It's also available in some drug stores as salt peter, I get it there and use it to make my corned venison.

Spence

I'm about to explode trying not to say what I am really thinking about that...... :shocked2: :haha:

Walker357 said:
Why use the potassium nitrate to blow the stump? Isn't that what the black powder is for? :grin:

Actually, I have tried that but only got a sorta "foof" instead of blast.
Do not try this where the ATF might be watching you. Think "explosive device". :shocked2:

When all fails, read the instructions. :rotf:

Quoted from my post up above:

"...No, it isn't used to blow stumps out of the ground. Potassium Nitrate breaks down the wood fibers basically "rotting" the wood so it just falls apart."

Back