• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples and Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
Ok, so just reporting in from today’s session. So last time I cleaned my rifle (last week) I took my old Treso ampco nipple out and replaced it with an RMC Oxyoke nipple. Now we’re talking about a gun that shoots a .495 ball in pillow tick over 85gr of pyrodex rs into a 1” or less group at 50 yards consistently. Anyways, I could barely fit a CCI #11 cap on the nipple. So I mashed it down with my thumb the best I could and let it rip. Nothing. Did this twice before the hammer seated it enough to set the charge off. I dealt with this for four shots. The group was awful. First shot was way off. But whatever. So the patches were burnt through the middle and it was grouping low right by roughly 2-1/2”. I thought, ok, let’s try something. I spun a new Treso ampco nipple in. Same ol performance as usual and hitting where it’s sighted in at. I took that one out and put in a track of the wolf nipple. Same story, 1” group on the bull and no issues with firing. So yeah, nipples certainly make a difference. Hopefully this will help someone. Don’t get frustrated, try stuff

Ok, so just reporting in from today’s session. So last time I cleaned my rifle (last week) I took my old Treso ampco nipple out and replaced it with an RMC Oxyoke nipple. Now we’re talking about a gun that shoots a .495 ball in pillow tick over 85gr of pyrodex rs into a 1” or less group at 50 yards consistently. Anyways, I could barely fit a CCI #11 cap on the nipple. So I mashed it down with my thumb the best I could and let it rip. Nothing. Did this twice before the hammer seated it enough to set the charge off. I dealt with this for four shots. The group was awful. First shot was way off. But whatever. So the patches were burnt through the middle and it was grouping low right by roughly 2-1/2”. I thought, ok, let’s try something. I spun a new Treso ampco nipple in. Same ol performance as usual and hitting where it’s sighted in at. I took that one out and put in a track of the wolf nipple. Same story, 1” group on the bull and no issues with firing. So yeah, nipples certainly make a difference. Hopefully this will help someone. Don’t get frustrated, try stuff
What happened was the hammer was bouncing when it finally went off. Chuck the nipple in a drill press and use a file to make it properly fit the cap. Different manufactures make their nipple to different specs or maybe the machine operator fell asleep. Don't think the burnt patch was caused by the nipple. Just saying.😉

I do. The hole in the nipple is considerably smaller. Creating greater pressure. Sorry, meant to mention that. The oxyoke nipples to put simply are flat out sub-parr.

They are not equal

Attachments

• FA312C74-E639-485B-9593-803FAF6E1C72.jpeg
    FA312C74-E639-485B-9593-803FAF6E1C72.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 82
  • D24BFA88-4F90-4933-BB45-2CED08B0F3CB.jpeg
    D24BFA88-4F90-4933-BB45-2CED08B0F3CB.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 84
They are not equal
The smaller hole will give more consistent ignition. I shoot a lot of serious offhand and light bench and I am always looking for smaller hole nipple.If you didn't resize the neck of the nipple it will never shoot. You really shouldn't have to resize a out of the box new nipple. When you buy it it should fit. OH Well you got my 2 cents worth on the subject. I'll take your oxyoke nipples If you want to send them to me.

It's amazing how much the little things in shooting, that at first light don't seem to be that important, can, in the final analysis, make a big difference in a guns accuracy.

For percussion ignition rifles, and even smoothbores, a well seated cap on the nipple is a must. The diameter of the orifice through the nipple can make a huge difference in accuracy, especially depending upon the back pressure being developed by a particular caliber.

Conical shooting rifles are going to wear out nipples far faster than patched ball shooting barrels. Because, of the greater pressures being developed in the bores.

A set of inexpensive ($36.00) pin gages, sized from 0.011" to 0.060" will cover all ones needs for checking the diameters of touch holes in flintlocks, and nipples in percussion guns.

Last edited:
What happened was the hammer was bouncing when it finally went off. Chuck the nipple in a drill press and use a file to make it properly fit the cap. Different manufactures make their nipple to different specs or maybe the machine operator fell asleep. Don't think the burnt patch was caused by the nipple. Just saying.😉
I would have to think the patch material and fit is the reason for the burned patches rather then the orifice size or erosion in the nipple.

I thought so too. But I’ve been shooting the same patch and ball combo for a few years with zero issues. And after I went back to the track of the wolf or Treso nipple I went back to having perfect patches again. Pressure is truly the name of the game there

Latest posts

Back