• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple wrenches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmaster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death but I must ask about removing a stuck nipple from an underhammer with the brass shield around it. That bugger is a tight as a frog's you know what and between dodging the hammer and getting something to fit inside that shield, I'm really scratching my head. Anyone have any ideas? :(

Remove the hammer to give you clearance. Then use a good nipple wrench, sized to that nipple. Use a product like Break Free, or Kroil, or Liquid Wrench, or any other " penetrating oil " by whatever brand name to soak the threads for a couple of days. These have oxidizers in the oil that breaks down any rust or dissolves other crud that may be causing the nipple to be stuck.

The hammer is either held onto the action with a drift pin, or part of the trigger assembly, which can be easily removed from the action by removing a screw or pin or two.

You might be able to use one of the L-shaped wrenches intended for BP revolvers. More leverage and more clearance below the hammer. But be really careful about letting it slip off the nipple and round the corners. Downhill slide to hell when that happens. Definitely look into lube or penetrant before cranking on the nipple though. I've had better luck with Liquid Wrench than standard lubes, and even better luck with Blaster PB. Haven't tried them on blued guns though, so word to the wise on that.

Worst case scenario after rounding the corners or actually twisting the nipple off while leaving the threade portion behind is a drill and easy-out. It works, but hopefully you won't have to go that far.

Back