• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm finding that the nipples on my 1860 Colt revolver get loose as the gun is fired -- finger-loose by the time I've fired all the rounds in the cylinder.

Having more than enough excitement in my life, I want to lower the possibility of chain-fires by re-tightening the nipples before reloading, but the fit of a conventional T-handle nipple wrench when the cylinder is on the gun leaves a lot to be desired -- looks like it will eventually round off either the nipples or the wrench.

What I need is a wrench that has a handle that goes off to the side (like a regular box-end wrench). I'm thinking of firing up the Dremel tool to make one of these, but I thought that, before I do that, I'd check to see if such a thing is commercially available.

Seeing as this model revolver has been around for 144 years, I figure I'm not the first shooter to desire such a tool!

Tom

I think the original Colt wrenches were "L" shaped. The "T" types seem to be mostly modern. However trying to tighten nipples while still on the revolver does present an angle that most wrenches can't properly handle. As you mentioned the potential of rounding the nipples are great. I tried an "L" shaped wrench on my 1860 and the angle is still there. I think you may need to do a work bench modification.

Latest posts

Back