• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rusty Nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Group. I recently assembled a Pedersoli .32 Pennsylvania rifle kit. During the assembly I found the inside of the barrel had quite a lot of rust in it and I spent a lot of time cleaning it out. Finally got the gun to the range and was amazed at the accuracy at 25 yards with the first two shots, then I pulled a rookie mistake and loaded a dry ball. Then discovered my nipple wrench was the wrong size, but I didn't notice the little screw in the nipple block until a few days later. Removed the little screw in the block and was able to pour some powder into the hole, replaced screw, capped and fired the ball out. I took the rifle home and gave it a thorough cleaning. Back to the range, got three FTFs. Pulled the nipple and found a lot of debris on the base of it and the little hole was clogged with powder residue and probably cleaning material that I hadn't properly removed. Cleaned the nipple, reinstalled and got off two rounds before it apparently got clogged again. Removed the load again and
took the rifle home. Pulled the nipple and it had rust on the base clogging the hole. After thorough cleaning I saw that the tunnel hole through the nipple is tiny. I know these guns are well engineered but has anyone ever drilled the hole through the nipple to slightly increase the size? The nipple pick barely fits through the present hole. I'm kinda old and a long time shooter, but relatively new to BP. Thank you in advance.

First: that tiny screw hole is not a clean out, it is part of the manufacturing process to drill the flash hole into the barrel. Try to not mess with it again. Second: I'm kinda shocked Pedersoli would ship a kit with a rusty barrel. o_O Shame on them. :mad:Three: you picked up a lot of gunk in the patened breech section from rust, cleaning and etc. That has to be a very disheartening start to your ml experience. Four: DO NOT drill out the nipple. Just try to clean it and get your wire pick through it. In the meantime, order some replacement nipples of the 'hot shot' style. Consider nipples as disposable items and get several to have on hand. Keep at it, good luck and enjoy.

@NipplPic, you want that tiny hole in the nipple to direct a hot jet of flame into the flash channel and to contain the pressure of the ignition charge for consistent pressure on the ball to send the ball to the desired target.

When installing the nipple back on the rifle, do grease the threads of the nipple and there is no need to overtighten the nipple. Snug is good enough.

I second what @Rifleman1776 said in his post.

Just a thought but new guns often come with a layer of heavy preservative in the bore and maybe the nipple. All this preservative must be cleaned out of the bore, fire channel and nipple before the first shot is fired. So it may not be rust but stubborn cosmoline et al. And as the previous posts advised do not alter the nipple at all. Pipe cleaners are good for cleaning out the fire channel and nipple.

First: that tiny screw hole is not a clean out, it is part of the manufacturing process to drill the flash hole into the barrel. Try to not mess with it again. Second: I'm kinda shocked Pedersoli would ship a kit with a rusty barrel. o_O Shame on them. :mad:Three: you picked up a lot of gunk in the patened breech section from rust, cleaning and etc. That has to be a very disheartening start to your ml experience. Four: DO NOT drill out the nipple. Just try to clean it and get your wire pick through it. In the meantime, order some replacement nipples of the 'hot shot' style. Consider nipples as disposable items and get several to have on hand. Keep at it, good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for the advise! Much appreciated.

Just a thought but new guns often come with a layer of heavy preservative in the bore and maybe the nipple. All this preservative must be cleaned out of the bore, fire channel and nipple before the first shot is fired. So it may not be rust but stubborn cosmoline et al. And as the previous posts advised do not alter the nipple at all. Pipe cleaners are good for cleaning out the fire channel and nipple.
Thanks for the advise. Maybe the red colored manure I kept getting out of the barrel was preservative. Shame on me.

Hello Group. I recently assembled a Pedersoli .32 Pennsylvania rifle kit. During the assembly I found the inside of the barrel had quite a lot of rust in it and I spent a lot of time cleaning it out. Finally got the gun to the range and was amazed at the accuracy at 25 yards with the first two shots, then I pulled a rookie mistake and loaded a dry ball. Then discovered my nipple wrench was the wrong size, but I didn't notice the little screw in the nipple block until a few days later. Removed the little screw in the block and was able to pour some powder into the hole, replaced screw, capped and fired the ball out. I took the rifle home and gave it a thorough cleaning. Back to the range, got three FTFs. Pulled the nipple and found a lot of debris on the base of it and the little hole was clogged with powder residue and probably cleaning material that I hadn't properly removed. Cleaned the nipple, reinstalled and got off two rounds before it apparently got clogged again. Removed the load again and
took the rifle home. Pulled the nipple and it had rust on the base clogging the hole. After thorough cleaning I saw that the tunnel hole through the nipple is tiny. I know these guns are well engineered but has anyone ever drilled the hole through the nipple to slightly increase the size? The nipple pick barely fits through the present hole. I'm kinda old and a long time shooter, but relatively new to BP. Thank you in advance.
I enjoy shooting black powder, but I can't buy it anyplace in Montana that I know of. I'm not that young anymore, so I don't need five or six more pounds to get a decent buy. Wanting to use 777 in my percussions and save my black for my flintlock, I took my wire bits and measured the hole in a new nipple, And found it to be, .026. I Drilled it out to .031 And it worked real fine with 777. I first drilled it to .030, and once in a while it would misfire. When I went up one more bit size it fixed it. How much life I will lose in the nipple doesn't really concern me, I'm lucky to shoot my percussions 100 times a year, though I might start using the lightest one at the turkey shoots I attend. Period Correct has no effect on my life, I shoot muzzleloaders as a hobby that includes casting bullets and lots of experimenting. The only ones I have to answer to, is my wife and God, and they both have been good to me.
Squint

I would advise getting two new nipples. once a nipple gets rusty and clogs up I have not been able to clean it up enough where it won't clog again the next range trip. even if you dry ball clean the gun. no use letting the rest of it rust before you get the ball out.

What I don't think it was mentioned was snapping a few caps when you arrive at the range or before hunting. That is after I run a dry patch down the bore. I do the same with my C&B pistols, it is a good way to clear out your flash channels. JMO

I would advise getting two new nipples. once a nipple gets rusty and clogs up I have not been able to clean it up enough where it won't clog again the next range trip. even if you dry ball clean the gun. no use letting the rest of it rust before you get the ball out.
Thanks! New nipples arrived today.

Drilling out the flash hole can result in too much pressure being directed through the nipple with you can end up with a self cocking hammer , or a broken hammer or a broken lock . Remember muzzle loaders are basically an open tube .
I traded a Leman caplock and initially thought it was full of rust , it was hardened copper grease the previous owner had filled the barrel and breach with as a preservative .

just to add my two cents worth, drilling the nipple orifice larger can cause problems you don't need.
one thing i have seen happen is the blowback on firing can cause the cock to rebound. if it does the chance of breaking the half cock notch is possible.
also it can cause erratic pressures which cause loss of accuracy.
DuncNZ types faster than me!:doh:

I prefer to use a rubbing alcohol dampened patch to prepare the bore before shooting. That and I store the gun muzzle down to prevent oils from accumulating in the flash channel at the breech.
I do pretty much the same thing although I use a good squirt of alcohol to wash any oil out then run a dry patch down the barrel . I also store my firearms muzzle down to both stop oil accumulation in the breach area and stop oil running out into the stock wood where it can eventually cause rot and spoil the wood .

Back