• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple rusted in place.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A trick that has worked for me is similar to what some have suggested but the difference is that I apply heat with a propane torch to the female threaded part (in this case, the barrel) until it is pretty darned hot but not glowing. I then apply dry ice to the male part (in this case, the nipple) and let the ice work for several seconds and then give the male part a good rap with a hammer to break up the rust in the threads. I repeat this treatment several times before attempting to turn the male threaded part. You need to break up the rust flakes or they will act like small wedges and jam the parts even worse than they were in the first place. Apply a good soaking of Kroil or similar penetrating oil and try working the part back and forth to continue breaking up the rust flakes. Finally reheat and apply the dry ice and attempt to remove the male threaded part from the female threaded part. If it is loose, rock it back and forth as you remove it to break apart the rust flakes keep them from jamming in the threads. If this doesn't get them apart, you will have to take it to a gunsmith. Because of the hardness of the nipple, he will need to have on hand or buy a special drill bit to cut the metal in the nipple.

Back