• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newly Invented Haversack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, after discussing the buttons I couldn't get it off my mind. I usually apply my waterproofer to anything bone. I couldn't remember if I did and sure enough I coated them completely. Needless to say they are good to go. However I may use a few pewter buttons still.

Easy, hide glue and beeswax.

It's not a permanent solution but it works.

So in theory it's not technically a true waterproofing agent as some would think of. More of a topcoat barrier that overtime will wear off but certainly seals the surface from moisture and water.

Now hide glue alone isn't waterproof, that's were the beeswax or a topcoat of woodglue comes in handy.

but there is a problem with your story about a British Regular trading his knapsack to you. I can not say it would have been impossible, but close to it because the Regular would have been Court Martialed, fined and probably flogged for trading a piece of his equipment like that. His new invented knapsack was considered Regimental Property and even if he was discharged, he would have had to turn it back in to the Regiment before he left

Actually, the New Invented Haversack (which in the photos is an excellent rendition :thumbsup: btw...) is a very specific piece of gear. It was Continental Army and only for a few of the colonies, so a British Regular nor a provincial would never have had one to trade in the first place, unless he took it from a prisoner. He would not have been issued such. It was documented in 1776 and the one the OP copied is from information stored in the Maryland Archives. By that time the British were carrying double strapped knapsacks, and the Light Infantry were carrying blanket packs when not in double strapped packs.

The information that goes with the period illustration of the haversack is thus, and was accompanied by a pretty good, hand drawn illustration:

"...the new Invented Napsack and haversack in one That is adopted by the American Regulars of Pennsylvania, New Jersey & Virginia @ 8/6 each. I could furnish any quantity that may be wanted for Maryland by ye first of April. ...., Any quantity of the above articles that may be wanted for ye province of Maryland, you may depend on being punctually & carefully supply’d with, if you see proper to employ.
Your Obdt. Ser, J. Young"

Letter to Samuel Chase of Maryland February 9th 1776 (emphasis added)

A deserter from the Continentals might go West to avoid capture and punishment and might trade out such an item. A contractor might make a few extra of them with the raw materials provided, and that might end up being traded. After the war they could have been sold off as military surplus or given to the men, who then traded them.

As for the OP's modifications...,

There was often a difference between what was ordered, and what arrived, especially to the Continentals. So they may have appeared with different mods than the illustration. A letter to Annapolis had this:

"We the subscribers [bidders on the contract] do propose to make Napsacks with oyl covers at seven shillings each. Country Linning napsacks at six shillings each Russia Duck. Napsacks at 6/6 each provided we get a quantity." [large enough order]
John Gordon Matthew Patton
Baltimore
July 17 th 1776
"

So it sounds like they are not making the same product as the new invented haversack, because of the price difference. However, you do see that these contractors mention an "oyl" cover, so they thought this might be expected in and gave a price for it if they made them, and also a price for non-painted "lining" of one shilling less, so painting the outside piece of canvas should be fine.

They did get a reply, ten days later....,

To Messrs Gordon and Patten.
Gentlemen. Inclosed you will have a plan of a Knapsack and Havresack in one adopted by three Provinces and which they offer to make of the Materials, Dimentions and in manner described, in Philadelphia at Eight Shillings and Six pence. If you incline to make two Thousand six hundred at that Rate we will agree to pay that price, provided they be made in the space of six weeks at furthest. We expect your answer immediately that we may apply elsewhere in case you do not incline to furnish us.
27 July 1776

Again the price is different from the proposal sent from Baltimore by Gordon and Patten, plus they included a drawing of what was wanted. Now one might include a drawing just to be clear that both sides of the contract understood what was being discussed, BUT why would the buyer offer more money for the same product if a maker was offering to make it for less? Because it was a different knapsack/haversack than the folks in Annapolis had ever seen, and they expected a) Gordon and Patten had not seen such either, and b) it was sufficiently different that it should cost more.

LD

Very nice information LD! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I also thank you for appreciating my reconstruction of the piece as well.

So, is it safe to say the "modern" day images of reenacting units with such bags are indeed false? This type of information is intriguing to me, while I certainly do not look the British part, nor reenact the role I find it very interesting to learn what both the Crowns forces and the Continental army had in their possessions.

I also have to think a regular certainly would not be allowed to carry anything unless it was issued.

It's a fine knapsack for Maryland, PA, New Jersey and VA impressions, but based on what an infantryman carried back then, probably two straps are better, but this is an improvement over a blanket pack with a tumpline (imho). Folks can debate whether or not they were issued out and to what units from those states, I guess.

It wouldn't be at all amiss if a fellow from one of those states had that pack, but had changed the straps over to a two-strap arrangement. As the war continued, things changed in gear and uniforms.

They were bought by the state for issue to the Maryland units that were part of the Continental Line, IF you're doing a Marylander. (I don't know what the other three states did ...sorry) Did the Maryland "Flying Camp" have them...., probably not as they were militia who volunteered to be deployed out of the colony. Did the Maryland riflemen have them..., well not the first few companies, which deployed before even the NIH's were ordered..., did they get them later???..., well Smallwood's regiment was like 700 guys...and Annapolis was looking to order several thousand of these packs. :shocked2: So they were going to issue them to somebody. Did folks go from "regular duty" and revert to Militia and keep their packs, or did Maryland units lose track of some of them (probably yes and yes..)

But British regulars with that pack, and a single strap, painted red...., ah no :nono: (Now that's based on what we find in records so far....that can change over time too...) So although one sutler sells them as for British too..., to coin a phrase from Duck Dynasty....naw.

LD

Latest posts

Back