• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newly Invented Haversack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came across a British regular this morning before the sun fully painted the morning sky. Took upon trade what he called a newly invented haversack...

Okay, the catch phrase probably wasn't the greatest... None the less I personally think this haversack is!

If anyone came across a previous post of mine, I was trying to gather some information on this particular style of haversack. Thanks to a few fellow members I was able to construct my own off of good documentation. Now I'm certainly not claiming this to be an authentic "HC" haversack, nor do I care. From my own investigation I think I've done a rather fine job in trying my best to replicate the piece as well in customizing it as one may have done to fit their needs.

To start, the entire piece has been hand sewn. I decided upon a whip stitch and a running stitch in a few areas due to the amount of sewing. The entire bag was sewn with waxed linen (doubled up), as to which I had to order more because I spared no expense sewing! Dug into the reserve stash...

Material used was 12oz canvas washed and dried twice, I also decided to utilize elk hide thongs rather than buckles. My reason behind this was of my own imagination. Say a Native took this on trade or from a fallen regular... Later in life maybe the buckles broke, or he just didn't like them for whatever reason. He then decides to add antler or bone buttons and leather thongs to simplify the piece/ retain function. Also, he adds two extra to secure a blanket in the interior. So there's how my mind works!

Speaking of the elk thongs, each is sewn and secured with quadruple stiching and my waterproof hide glue mix.

All seams are also waterproofed with the same mixture. Now I decided against waterproofing the entire bag, the canvas alone had a super tight weave and replies water, so well I left it alone. The flap however I painted with my red oilcloth waterproofing mixture for the traditional red allot of these seemed to have been adorned with. From what I've found, allot of British units would paint their regiments insignia upon the red background. It also obviously is a waterproofer as well to protect the contents.

The strap was hand sewn utilizing the same canvas that was quadruple folded and sewn making it very stout and durable.

This entire project was done while watching Shawshank Redemption, great movie! Not much of a TV guy but I had surgery again last Thursday so the boss being an RN is ruling with an iron fist... So I don't get away with much. :doh:

I did get away with packing my essential gear and giving it a small go down the lane, absolutely in love with how it carries and packs! If anyone is interested I'll get the measurements for you which I forgot! Hope this sparks some interest, I must say between my snapsacks and this I can't wait to fly commercial! All joking aside, I'm very pleased with this simple project. I live by the less is more mentality and this nice bag securely stowes away everything you need for a weekend or more in the woods! Hope you all enjoyed the read! :hatsoff:

S08Dm00.jpg

rqsIX9x.jpg

5lElL2j.jpg

IPpUqHZ.jpg

3Ds4YIh.jpg

iaalMik.jpg

Looking good! Love all the details in how you made it. Heal fast my friend!

That is one really nice haversack you made. :hatsoff:

Though your doctor must have really put you on some serious â„ž to think The Shawshank Redemption is a great movie. :grin:

Your skill development is starting to scare me.....Are you sure you're human?..... :haha: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I can't sew that well with a machine.... :shocked2:

Seriously though.....Can You model it for us?

Shawshank no good? That's okay, like I said sitting infront of a TV or computer isn't my thing...
waste of brain activity, like watching the news.

Last time checked, as in last Thursday I do indeed bleed red, have the surgical pictures to prove it! I'll possibly model this for you in a few weeks.

This is just how I do... while others concern themselves with the mindless stupidity of the world and society I just hunt, trek and make stuff. Oh, and traveled the world curtesy of uncle sugar... Tired of that and his BS.

Anywho, glad you like it! I certainly do appreciate your likings to my stitch work, I'm rather OCD about stitching.

Oh, did I ever mention all the posting and picture uploads I do are from my beat up 4 year old Samsung phone? Several members here can vouch for me on this lol. Yep... :eek:ff

He sent me a picture of the wound. Don't let him fool you, looked like a scene from Transformers!

Anywho, what surprised me was the actual size of it. Definitely larger than it appears.

Ha ha! It feels like I've been split down the left side!

On a good note you now need yourself one of these bags. Can't wait to pack it up for the upcoming weekend trek!

Looks good, but I would question the use of an exposed whip stitch on the edges of anything subject to come in contact with other surfaces which might abrade it.

Looks great! This is informing a little repair I'm doing, fixing a knapsack that was lying around at the fort by replacing the straps on it. Probably going with 1 1/2 in wide straps on both shoulders. Do you tie a blanket on the ties on the bottom? Wondering how that feels on the shoulders

Keep up the good work, and kudos for staying out of the mindless fray. I've seen it ruin some folks, unfortunately. If they'd only look up and around instead of down onto their phones they'd see so much more to life. This forum has been a good 'replacement' when I have to kill time somewhere inside

Thank you sergeant! The ties you see on the inside, second picture were the straps are sewn to the bag... This is were a blanket is tied.

I personally made the size of the bag a little larger than that of my HB blankets when folded or rolled. Doing so enabled me to basically affix the blanket securely also allowing the flap enough room to close even with a modest loadout.

I've seen multiple images of these packs either having one, or two straps. Two straps obviously would be worn like a backpack.

For me, I like a tumpline, or even better slining it over the shoulder like a normal possibles bag with the pack portion against my back.

I walked a slow mile yesterday when the wife left... affixed my blanket and packed a few other accouterments that I normally carry. Nothing to heavy because I like traveling light anyways. Very comfortable, pleased with how it rides on the back, others may not like it but I know your probably used to carrying a heavier loadout as well with more "modern" gear.

Lots of versatility, you should have no problems fixing and modifying your recently discovered find, a good one indeed!

Wick Ellerbe said:
Looks good, but I would question the use of an exposed whip stitch on the edges of anything subject to come in contact with other surfaces which might abrade it.

Your point is valid, however I'm a step ahead of you. :thumbsup:

I design my gear for my use only, what works for me might not for others. Beauty of creativity! I carry allot of beedwork and quillwork into the woods, much more vulnerable indeed. IMO, one must be very aware of his route and what's around, careless behavior and unnecessary wear to gear can be avoided. Never have I experienced any issues with my beaded leggings, bags, sheaths and other accouterments. I prefer to just... be careful!

For example, examine the stitching, yes the whip is visible, however recessed between the puckers of canvas that have raised due to me pulling each stitch tight. Doing so raised the edges, essentially adding a layer of defense to the stitching. The most preferable method? Maybe not, but it'll work for now!

Good call though, I was waiting for someone to jump on that! :haha:

I like it!

(by the way, I also liked The Shawshank Redemption - the good guys win, in the end; what's wrong with that?)

Nicely done!

I would go for a stiffer strap and replace the antler buttons with wood, horn or metal. The spongy core of antler will break and antler cross-section buttons are a product of the 1960-70s Rendezvous scene.

You beat me to the point on the buttons. Yep, back in the early/mid 70's, I made them that way myself not knowing any better and they do bust out in the pith when some strain is put on them. It wasn't until the Internet when I saw some original pieces of bone that had come out of the River Thames and had been drilled for buttons, did I realize it was the wrong way to do it.

Nowadays I'm hoarding some thin Moose Antler for making horn buttons.

Gus

Sorry, hit the reply button too soon. I do like the way you took something you could have seen in the period and fashioned something like it with materials that were more in keeping with what you normally used.

My first good shooting pouch was made with the same kind of mindset in the mid 70's. I took some basic designs from military cartridge pouches to make a civilian/militia shot pouch that worked great for my uses.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the ones that came out of the Thames river were also beef bones and they sure used every fraction of space to make the buttons.

Thanks for the link to the original tools, though I have seen them before, but that's still great for others who have not.

Guess I'll have to see some butchers about some bones and try to explain to my Collie Girl why she won't get them.... :redface:

Gus

BTW and I truly hope I don't sound too nitpicky, but there is a problem with your story about a British Regular trading his knapsack to you. I can not say it would have been impossible, but close to it because the Regular would have been Court Martialed, fined and probably flogged for trading a piece of his equipment like that. His new invented knapsack was considered Regimental Property and even if he was discharged, he would have had to turn it back in to the Regiment before he left. Heck, they fined and flogged British Soldiers for hiding a few spare cartridges and selling them to civilians.

So I might suggest you change the story to you saw a British Regular with it and decided to make one like it for yourself. That is completely plausible. :thumbsup:

Gus

I hear your story, government property is government property!

Also, good points on the buttons gents, I have a generous supply of racks so fashioning antler buttons is nothing. I'll likely use them till they indeed fall apart. Wood buttons, have plenty! Also have a bunch of pewter buttons I'm using to make my F&I war British uniform coat. This was stripped from a fallen regular in battle... I could also spare some buttons from that project.

Ahhh ok I see what you did there. Those ties put the weight more toward the actual strap and not pulling down on the whole bag. Nice. Smart move!

Latest posts

Back