• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NewGuy questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Hunting Forum. Anyway, here goes.

Next weekend I'm going on my first ML hunt in at least 15 years. Back then I used a borrowed Muzzel Loader and only took it out for a walk a couple times. I have a Traditions Hawken, 1:66 and plan on shooting PRB's at (hopefully "in") Georgia Whitetails. I've had the rifle for 12 years but only started shooting it this year and I've been getting pretty good accuracy out to 75 yards with a 70gr load.

Here's the questions. Should I shoot a fouling shot or two Friday afternoon before I take it out for the hunt on Saturday morning? Also, is there any harm in leaving the Saturday load in the rifle until Monday afternoon if I don't get a shot at a deer?

Pyrodex RS.

I didn'nt hear about the benefits of BP until I found this forum and that was after I bought Pyrodex.

Scott

Scotman,
I would not foul my barrel and leave it uncleaned that long, it may rust. I know discussions have been made about seasoned barrels but I would not take a chance. Shoot your rifle several times with a clean bbl. and take note where she prints each time. Shooting a match at the range and time in the woods hunting require different methods. Also do not use a patch lube with water in it if you are going to leave it loaded until you get home it may also rust. If you do not fire your rifle and it stays dry you should be O.K. until you get home. I have read and assume it to be true that after firing black powder it does not become corrosive on its own but because it attracts the moisture in the air, which causes rust. I would treat Pyrodex when fired the same as black. Just my Opinion.

Scotman said:
Also, is there any harm in leaving the Saturday load in the rifle until Monday afternoon if I don't get a shot at a deer?
Scotman,
I've left mine loaded for as long as a week, with no noticable problem. Just keep it dry.Never had any firing problems. I'm sure there are other thoughts on this. BTW I only use B/P.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Pa Keelor give me this years ago & it will take care of fear of your hunting load not going off. Before you load a gun for hunting pour some laquer thinner in the barrel to get all of the oil out of the breech. You do this some time before the hunt, back home, whatever. Be careful when you patch this out. The dry bore will have a habit of grabbing your patch/jag. You might want to go a little looser on the cleaning patch. Like someone else said, lube with something other than spit, something that won't rust the barrel & check to make sure this clean gun shoots the same as your normal load. I've left guns loaded for over a month with no problem.

I have done both. Left the charge in and shot it off and reloaded. Never had a problem with either. BUT if you do foul your barrel for more accuracy I would definatley clean that out. Besides what does it matter to shoot the load clean the gun and reload early the next morning say around 3:30 am. Sounds like fun to me!!! :thumbsup: Thats what it's all about IMO. Wild Bill used to keep his load new "just in case" its better to be safe than sorry and again I love to shoot clean and load mine. Good luck with the hunt!

If you don't get a shot the day of your hunt and wish to keep the load in the rifle, take cap off and run a lightly lubed patch on a jag in/out the bore. Will be OK if you keep rifle dry until Monday am. Re-cap after of course.

Heres what I would if me. I would clean rifle with hot soapy water, then rinse with clean hot water dry,I use paper towels, I pull nipple if cap lock and blow back the barrel then run patch again, then run a oil patch. Then I would go about loading the rifle to hunt.I take a dry patch and wipe out the bore,put powder in and patch ball.I don't dry fire a cap, as this will leave fouling in gun. I have left mine loaded for as long as I feel it is safe,I wil run a grease patch( I use deer tallow) down the barrel at times just to keep the bore lubed, as that is the way I shoot my guns. If you are afraid the gun won't fire, pull nipple and add a little 4or3 ff in. clean your gun like this and load it and shoot it. So you know if it will shoot like you want on mark. I uaually, if don't get a shot only leave for one or two days,then unload gun and reload again. I shot my first deer on sat and gun was loaded on wed. Some guns you cann't do this, It depends on the breach make up. Most all mine you can.

I hunted with Traditions sidelocks for years. My advice is switch to black powder and use a fresh load every day. Remove the nipple every day and clean it thoroughly if you have shot it. Use a fresh percussion cap every morning and snap a couple of caps before loading (the old move the leaf check). Don't get lazy or you'll be disappointed with the gun. Don't take any chances and NEVER trust an overnight load... and you'll put venison in the freezer every year.

Thanks for all the advise, guys. I remember when I carried a Muzzle Loader on a couple hunts, here in Florida, many years ago. I did'nt get a shot all day and IIRC you had to fire the load off before you could bring the ML back into camp (camp rules). When I tried to fire it off at the end of the day it didn't fire. I don't know what caused the problem (too much oil left in the barrel, condensation, whatever) so, I had to pull the nipple and poured in a little powder and then it fired. I'm pretty sure I went through the process of running dry patches and fireing a few caps prior to loading but still endend up with damp powder. That's mostly what I want to avoid this year.

I still live in central FL but now hunt in central GA. I'm thinking about stopping off at a friends cow pasture on my way to GA and fireing a couple loads, Friday afternoon, just to be sure everything is blown or burnt out. Then load another shot (no cap) and run a cleaning patch baptised in Bore Butter down the barrel to ward off rust and corrosion. I'll probably fire that shot off Saturday evening (if I don't see a deer) and repeat the process. Any harm in that?

Thanks again,
Scott

No, Scott, but I think you need to pay more attention to the nipple and flash channel to make sure they are dry and clear of debris. Those two constricted areas are where oil and gunk collect to spoil the shooting in percussion guns. I would be inclned to take the nipple off at night, check to see there is no oil or moisture condenses on or in or under it, use a pipe cleaner to dry the flashchannel, and then pour a few grains of 4F priming powder down into the flash channel before putting the nipple back on.

Before loading that all-day charge, why not run a patch, with alcohol on it, down the barrel to dissolve any grease or oil that didn't burn when you fired the caps, and then evaporate any moisture that might be in the barrel and flash channel. That is the surest way to dry the chamber, and remove all oil. Since you are living and hunting in such a damp climate, I think that would be the better way to go.

In addition to all the other advise, you could use one of the CO2 dischargers at the end of the day, without actually firing the charge, wipe just to make sure you get out an residue left in the barrel. Do it (CO2) again before you load next morning to make sure nothing is in the flash channel, too.

Our season here doesnt start till mid Nov and goes for 3 weeks, we deffinetley hunt in the cold and rain, 2 things to remember, 1 if its cold and your going to leave your load in the barrel, leave your rifle locked in your car not in your heated tent or motor home, Ive seen condesation build in the barrel from this and wet powder resulted, you can also cover the muzzle of the rifle with masking tape, we use masking tape dots courtesy of Boeing, keeps the rain out of the barrel and doesnt screw up shot placement, Ive left my load in my rifle from sat am till Mon eve and havnt had any problems with moisture or rust following these procedures, GOOD LUCK on the hunt!

No harm, but you still would not be hunting with a fouled barrel, and if that is what you have been practicing with you may be off target.
Up close it would not matter but over 70 - 80' away may make a difference.
Run a lightly lubed patch down the bore and keep it dry and you won't be dissapointed. Use a new cap the morning of the hunt, and keep another handy for fast replacement. Good luck and eat some venison soon. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. I leave for the woods next Friday. I'll post back and let you know how it went. Thanks again for all the pearls of wisdom.

Scott

Well, here's the report. I didn't see any deer. I hunt near the property line on our lease and the guy on the other property thought muzzle loading season was a good time to sight in his rifle and have a four wheeler family get together. I ended up hunting unfamiliar territory as a result. Oh well.

Anyway, about the rifle, I removed, and inspected the nipple prior to loading, got myself a proper patch jag and and ran several dry patches. Loaded it Satuday morning and hunted with that load till Monday morning. Monday afternoon I fired off the load and it went bang just like it was supposed to.

Perhaps if I get a chance I'll take it out during general gun season. That's really my son and wife's time to hunt. I just sit with them in the stand. Neither one has got their first deer yet. We'll hunt together for a week in Nov and a week in Dec. There will probably be a couple opportunites to take it out then.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Scott

Back