• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
To the Gang,

Just thought I'd introduce myself... I'm Metalshaper.
42yrs old, married and have one son ( who's 12 and too mature for Dad ) By vocation I'm a Water quality Lab Technician..

I'm a gunbuilder of sorts, dabling in a little Black/Bladesmithing. Also a true beginner in the skill/art of engraving. Most of my work is done with hand tools, but I'm slowly incorporating some of the 'powered' variety. If I can't afford what I need, I figure out a way to build it.

I've built a transition longrifle and a Mule ear gun. "Miss Muley", is my halfstock .36, that shows English/Tyron/Hawken influences. She was designed as a change barrel/take down, along the lines of the old express style guns. She also has a 28 gauge shotgun barrel if I want to shoot at doves and such. The back-action lock is my own design, that incorparates a half cock position and a fly on the tumbler.

I've also been talked into building Underhammer guns. We ( a friend and I ) make a H&A style gun, that has no pins through the frame. All the action parts hang on an insert.
My idea, for the inserted lock-works, was to proivide a clear engraving field.. That is, once I figure out how to do the engraving :{) there has also been a cannon, which required my help to bore, and a baby cohern mortar that needs finishing. Along with those, I've made a couple of bullet moulds, I'm trying to scratch build a 1838-1840 Jenks Breechloader.. Oh, and a longrifle for a friend.

A goal is to one day make a couple of my own gun barrels. I've helped work on a couple of rifling bench designs. Played around with a primitive drilling bed, < for boring out bar stock > and hope to learn forge welding, good enough to eventually skelp weld a barrel..

Other than that, I sure have a long ways to go..and hope you guys can help 'Learn me'!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

metalshaper,
May I be the first to welcome you to the forum. Sounds like you bring some skills that will be appreciated here. Let us know how your future adventures in primitive skills at the forge, etc. work out.
God bless,
volatpluvia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

and hope to learn forge welding, good enough to eventually skelp weld a barrel..

Hi Metalshaper

Wow, have you been reading Greener :shocking:

But you obviously have the right background to stand a chance of success in this daring venture.

Greener shows three smiths standing around one anvil and beating the bejabbers out of the barrel to make it stick, OTOH Enfield barrels were closed using rollers. I wonder if you could roll the spiralled skelp at welding heat to finish it :: :: ::

Robin and Volatpluvia,

Thanks for the welcomes..

Robin you know me from another site or two. I figured "Miss Muley" or the Jenks would have given me away :{) <hint,, try Dag >

I have seen greeners book, just haven't gotten a copy for home. I still need to work on my forge welding. Thinking about going to a gas forge.. Might help to control the heat range and not mess with all the contaminants a coal fire can provide. I do OK in a coal fire, but not good enough to try and weld a skelp..<YET!>
There were rolling mills, that basically extruded a barrel blank through the rollers forms. I wondered how they controled the mandrel, as it fed through? and pity the guy who had to catch the out-feeding extrusions??

I'm trying to get back at it..had a bit of a lay-off, due to family stuff..

Glad to be among friends!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Cool - annudder blockschmidt...I've been at it over 20 years give or take, but only recently went into it full time. I've seen barrels both jump welded and skelp welded. In either case, the hole ends up rather small and is then drilled out. Good luck with your projects - making a barrel the old way is hard work.

There were rolling mills, that basically extruded a barrel blank through the rollers forms. I wondered how they controled the mandrel, as it fed through? and pity the guy who had to catch the out-feeding extrusions??

Here they are a'doing it. It's good here, you can post pictures ::

roll.jpg

If you want a closer look, here's a link to a 200k size copy of this same pic http://www.robinhewitt.net/roll-big.jpg

Back