• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie? What load for my 50 Cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While T-7 is more expensive, because it is more energetic you use less of it to get the same velocity as when using one of the traditional black powders, that is why you reduce the charge by 15%. Will you rifle shoot into exactly the same place that it would with 15% less T-7 than Goex? I don't know, but that's why you work up a load for each rifle you have. My .54 rifle shoots best using 85 grains of 2f Goex, so 7000 grains to a pound divided by 85 grains per shot equals (about) 82 shots per can. I can get 5 pounds of 2f Goex from Powder Inc. for $114.75, so that equals $22.95 per pound shipped, including Hazmat and shipping. So for 2f Goex I would spend about 28 cents per shot in powder costs. Doing the same with Triple 7 I can order 5 pounds from Cabelas for 187.68, or $37.54 per pound, 7000 grain to a pound. But my 85 grain charge of Goex is reduced by 15% to get the same velocity and becomes 64 grains (rounded up from 63.75) and I can now get 109 shots from a can of T-7, making my per shot cost for powder about 34 cents. Yes, Triple 7 is more expensive, but get this; walking into Cabelas I can buy just one pound of T-7 for $27.99, no shipping or Hazmat fee and they don't carry Goex. At that price my cost per shot goes to 26 cents per shot, actually cheaper than using Goex. It is only when my club gets together and orders 10 pounds of Goex that my cost per shot goes to 22 cents, even less if we order 25 pounds, which makes it $14.50/pound. If you can get 1 or 2 friends to go in on a 5 pound order you'll do okay, but if you can't and don't have any like minded clubs in your area, walking into the neighborhood sporting goods store and buying a can of T-7 makes sense. When out sighting in the rifle there is bound to be some other folks at the range either already into muzzle loading or wanting to ask questions about it, and what better way to meet some like minded people?

Mr. Brooks

Thank you for the link to the triple 7 charts for
round ball & patch. I appreciate your help. :grin:

Back