• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie? What load for my 50 Cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graybeard62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I`m new and need some advice on load for my 50 cal
Traditions. I`m going to be using triple 7 powder
and a .490 round ball 178grain. I plan on limiting
my shots at deer to 60-70 yards. How much powder to start with and will this work for deer? Thanks for any help. Graybeard62

You need to find the most accurate load for your rifle first. What may work great in my rifle may be lousy in yours, even if they are the same model and caliber. When using Triple 7 you need to keep in mind that it is more energetic than traditional black powder and most of the other subs, so reduce your loads by 15%. As an example, with a 50 caliber you'd normally start with a 50 grain load and Goex, or about 45 grains of T-7. So, 45 grains of 3f Triple 7, a .015 prelubed shooting patch and a .490 round ball would be a good starting point. Shoot a group of 3-5 shots, swabbing the bore in between shots then increase the powder by 5 grains and repeat the process until your groups are nice and tight and then you've found the best powder charge for your rifle. Only then do you want to change things or adjust the sights. I would suggest that you sight in for a 75 yard zero if your longest shots will be 60-70 yards.

Even just 45 grains of T-7 and a RB placed in the right spot is going to be enough for deer.

Check out the many posts wanting to know what powder loads to use for hunting with their .50 caliber rifles.

For triple 7 powder you will need to reduce the suggested powder loads by about 15% and remember, when we are talking about powder loads we are speaking of the amount of powder needed to fill a powder measure that was made for real black powder.

For instance, if you see that a lot of folks like 80 grains of 2Fg you should set your adjustable powder measure to read 68 grains (70 would be close enough).

The most important thing to know is that all muzzleloading rifles will have one or two powder loads they work best with.
Accuracy is the most important thing so the challenge is to find the most accurate load(s) for your gun. It will be different than my .50 caliber gun.

Like the others said you need to find your best shooting load. I would go with the heaviest safe load that still shoots well. If it shoots best at 60gr but still shoots good enough with 70gr to bring down your deer, that's what I would go with. At 70y 50gr would get the job done if you do your part but a little extra wouldn't hurt.

My son's Traditions St. Louis Hawken, slow twist .50 uses 55grns of 2FT7 a .490 ball and a tight .020 Denim dry lubed patch 7-1.
Match winning accurate.
I wouldn't hesitate to use that gun with that load on Minn White Tail.

So yours might be around there someplace, alot of it hinges on the patch and lube.

I agree on the reducing Triple Seven.I blew a cap off of a nipple and into my cheek not reducing it in a 50 Caliber.its HOT.

George

A lot of the answer depends on the make of the rife you are using. for example TC told me I could use up to 100 grains by volume of 2F Triple Seven in my TC Hawken rifle. I found 90 grains was best for the bullet I use. That is a pretty hot load in some of the other rifles out there. That is why others here have told you to reduce your loads as some rifles can't handle hot loads. Now my TC 45 cal Hawken prints into an inch and less at 50 yards with 70 grains of 2F Triple Seven all day long with PRB. So my advice is to figure out what the max you can use in your rifle.
Then start at about 60 grains and work up in 5 grains at a time until you find the best load. Patch lube will also effect your accuracy. Lots of things to keep ya busy, but it should keep ya off the streets and out of jail! :grin:

... I`m going to be using triple 7 powder ...

Why T7? I would just use Pyrodex RS, or P. It costs less and T7 never showed me anything to warrant it's higher cost. When the powder costs less, ya get to shoot more. :grin:
That's a good thing! :thumbsup:

Pyrodex is the closest sub to real black powder in my experience. So if it ain't real (BP) than I go with Pyrodex. :wink:

Pyrodex is the closest sub to real black powder in my experience. So if it ain't real (BP) than I go with Pyrodex.

+1 :thumbsup:

greybeard, i'm late to the party, but the advice you have is good and i agree with it completely. i would chip in my 'two cents' with the recommendation that you contact Dutch Schoultz and get a copy of his monograph on muzzle loading accuracy. you can contact him at
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...14yVCw&usg=AFQjCNEZwyWa1zeoCDC50H7jmzsilOQndQ

(hope that link works) this system, if followed, will most surely tighten your groups, thus making it much more likely that you will put one where it needs to go when Bambi turn the corner.

make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
ebiggs said:
... I`m going to be using triple 7 powder ...

Why T7? I would just use Pyrodex RS, or P. It costs less and T7 never showed me anything to warrant it's higher cost. When the powder costs less, ya get to shoot more. :grin:
That's a good thing! :thumbsup:

Pyrodex is the closest sub to real black powder in my experience. So if it ain't real (BP) than I go with Pyrodex. :wink:

Nothing wrong with Triple Seven. I have had excellent results with it for a long time.

Below is the website for Hogden's recommended Pyrodex and Triple 7 loads, includes patched round balls. I use of Triple 7 and I'm a happy camper, it shoots fine for me and is easier to clean up. The downside is the ignition temp for Triple 7 is higher than Blackpowder or Pyrodex so I recommend you use the most powerful cap you can legally use.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf?CHECKBOX_1=on

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with Triple Seven. I have had excellent results with it for a long time.

I agree. There just isn't anything better with it, to warrant the extra cost. :idunno:

ebiggs said:

I agree. There just isn't anything better with it, to warrant the extra cost. :idunno:

How about higher vel and you can get it in the local stores and you can't get Goex around here at all! No everyone has the funds for a 25 pound order when they just want to have enough powder for a little range time and a hunt.

GB62,
Is 777 all you can find? If you don't mind
me asking,what are you paying for it a pound. I am
guessing $25/$30 per#.I am paying $16/18 per #
for Goex.... :hmm:

How about higher vel and you can get it in the local stores and you can't get Goex around here at all! No everyone has the funds for a 25 pound order when they just want to have enough powder for a little range time and a hunt.

Yes I still agree. No question but any place that has T7 will most likely have Pyrodex and it's cheaper.
You mentioned, “... No(t) everyone has the funds for a 25 pound order ...”!
If you feel the need of a few more feet per second, drop in a few more grains of Pyrodex.
It is still cheaper. :grin: Shoot more! :wink: Good thing! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Rat Trapper, T7 is the only thing I can get locally. At $28.99 a pound, I cringe every time I see one of my boys spill some at the range. I will also admit, I would like to be able to financially afford every combo of powder, patch and rb everyone seems to tout as the perfect set-up. However, I'll just do as the oldtimers did, use what I got and can get, and if it don't work figure out why and adjust! This hobby has already proven itself expensive enough to get into.

Graf's has SCHUETZEN BLACK POWDER 2F 1LB on sale for 12.99. Order 5 lb's + $25 Hazardous Mat. charge comes out to 17.99 a lb. + shipping. I think would be several dollars cheaper than $28.99 a LB. and delivered to your door.... :hatsoff:

"This hobby has already proven itself expensive enough to get into."

As far as hobbies go this is a bout as cheap as it gets, couple hundred for a used rifle another hundred for accessories is cheap. After all how many motorcycle guys do you know that has that $18,000 Hardly Ableson :rotf: in their driveway, fishing guys with that $28,000 bass boat,drag racer's can have any where from $5000 to $50,000 invested in their car and trailor, dirt bikers that have 2 or 3 dirt bikes in their garage...just saying :v

nmdd said:

As far as hobbies go this is a bout as cheap as it gets, couple hundred for a used rifle another hundred for accessories is cheap. After all how many motorcycle guys do you know that has that $18,000 Hardly Ableson :rotf: in their driveway, fishing guys with that $28,000 bass boat,drag racer's can have any where from $5000 to $50,000 invested in their car and trailor, dirt bikers that have 2 or 3 dirt bikes in their garage...just saying :v

Touche :surrender:

Back