• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie questions about rust/corrosion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for taking time to explain things.

The reason I am asking is as a teen I had a beat up semi sporterized WW1 8mm rifle and shot surplus corrosive ammo. I remember cleaning it with hot soapy water, drying it and oiling it afterwards. The barrel bore would still always rust slightly after a few days. If it wasn't cleaned it would rust really bad overnight. I once bought a box of commercial ammo ( very expensive compared to the $0.05 rd surplus ammo ) and shot a few rounds and let it sit overnight. No rust. Not sure what I was doing wrong with the hot soapy water method. I lived in a non humid area then, but now I live in reclaimed swampland, so rust is a big concern.

What's the easiest routine for a newbie to start with? I'm going to be starting with revolvers.

Is removing nipples after shooting a normal thing?

I have been using Goop and GoJo waterless hand cleaner without pumice to clean my cap and ball revolvers. The hand cleaner melts black powder/Pyrodex fouling I just brush it in and wipe it off and it leaves it lightly oiled. Places like the chambers I pack with paper towels it wicks up 95 % of the hand cleaner/fouling. I push the paper towels out using a punch. I live in a warm dry climate I have been getting no rust and by guns look great. The last gun I shot I was out of beeswax/Crisco lube I used Vasoline instead the hand cleaner did not work on the fouling in the barrel Bristol and water cleaned it right up. My old black bore brushes and toothbrushes look brand new after rinsing off the hand cleaner with water. Here is an article on using hand cleaner. Handling Cap and Ball Revolvers – SUVCW Camp 22

Corrosive black powder residue cannot be "neutralized" - it is dissolved with water and flushed out. A thorough cleaning routine includes flushing out the corrosive salts and fouling, removing residual water, then using a good rust preventative.

Back in the 60's I used Birchwood Casey's 'Sheath' - today they call it 'Barricade'. It is effective and IMO, there is nothing better.

Back