• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New York late muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regular buck season tag is NOT valid in the muzzleloading season. Period.
I have attached a screenshot from the NYSDEC link you provided. It seems to imply that a regular season tag is valid during the late muzzleloader season (a muzzleloader tag is good only during muzzleloader season). You still must have purchased the ‘muzzleloader privilege’ to hunt during the muzzleloader season to use either or both tags. This was confirmed by a NYS Game Warden we were talking with after he commented about my flintlock and one of my buddies asked him directly about the tags. I guess it’s possible the Game Warden was misinformed.
1673457302400.png

I am back to being confused on this subject. I think it’s good the moderator unlocked it, because it should be resolved. I’m going to contact the NYSDEC ranger I have known well for a long time, see what he says. It’s possible there is confusion about this among law enforcement staff. Frankly, I hardly see much law enforcement activity except for damage to public land and illegal harvest of bear and buck.

I am back to being confused on this subject. I think it’s good the moderator unlocked it, because it should be resolved. I’m going to contact the NYSDEC ranger I have known well for a long time, see what he says. It’s possible there is confusion about this among law enforcement staff. Frankly, I hardly see much law enforcement activity except for damage to public land and illegal harvest of bear and buck.
I no longer live in NY, but still hunt there every year (purchased a Lifetime License before I left) and make every effort to stay current with rules and regulations. Some of the guys I hunt with wanted to hunt the late season and the fact that they could use they regular season tag was appealing to them, along with fewer folks in the woods and it being easier to get time off from work. I remember when the Game Warden was asked the question about the tags, the answer just rolled out exactly like in the above regulation chart with no hesitation. One of the benefits of a bureaucracy is the confusion it brings with it…….

I am past president of NYS Muzzleloaders Association and past president of Wayne county sportsmen's federation.
We worked hard to make muzzleloader deer seasons, " if it's brown' its down!

He writes further: “If you have the [muzzleloader] stamp you can use whatever tag you want”
Same story we got from a NYS Game Warden and it matches the DEC website. You must be talking with a more ‘experienced’ Game Warden. Don’t remember when actual ‘stamps’ were used, but it was years ago.

Same story we got from a NYS Game Warden and it matches the DEC website. You must be talking with a more ‘experienced’ Game Warden. Don’t remember when actual ‘stamps’ were used, but it was years ago.
His grandfather and maybe also his dad were both NYSDEC rangers. The old lingo gets passed down. I think I am settled on this question. Need a Muzzleloading tag which for out of state is $30, plus regular license and a muzzleloader. Thank you for sticking to this.

privilege /tag /stamp/ what ever you want to call it you need it along with your regular hunting license to hunt the various m/l seasons and yes some other tags can be used in some areas.

His grandfather and maybe also his dad were both NYSDEC rangers. The old lingo gets passed down. I think I am settled on this question. Need a Muzzleloading tag which for out of state is $30, plus regular license and a muzzleloader. Thank you for sticking to this.
Yeah I know guys that still put in for a Party Permit

Lets face it, this is NY. If there is a way for them to get more money out you they will. We have to pay for our privileges and rights.

you have to have buy muzz priveledge but can use your reg season, bow muzz tags or any dmp permits during late season

Back