• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The no return policy is geared to the buyers that change their mind but not to defective or damaged ones. I had one with stuck nipples and small blemish on the finish, I called and complained. Was told to send it back for a refund or exchange. The condition you got that gun in is completely unacceptable and a replacement or refund is warranted.
If for some remote reason Midway won’t do the right thing then file a complaint with the CC company for a refund.

I do not think y can make blanket all encompassing statements about what Midway does or does not do. For a company like Midway that carries over 100,000 items, you can guarantee that no one is doing an incoming QC check on each one. I purchased an 1858 Remington from Midway approx 3-4 weeks ago and the pistol is perfect. I would try working with Midway and see what happens. Obviously you need to talk to someone who is not a CS clerk and has no authority to change their policies etc. Good Luck

Attachments

• New Pietta 1858 remington 13 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 13 .JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 14 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 14 .JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 15 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 15 .JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 6.JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 6.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 7.JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 7.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 8 JPG.JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 8 JPG.JPG
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 9 JPG.JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 9 JPG.JPG
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 10..JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 10..JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Midway sucks! I have had similar problems with receiving Uberti pistols in boxes that were almost destroyed, and one that was crudely repaired with tape. They claim to ship quickly, but they use the date of creating a UPS label as the date they ship. I haved written to complain, and only got a I'm sorry response from a company shill that ignored my concerns. I would advise everyone to AVOID MIDWAY!!!!!

Ok, fellas, I really hate to "toot my horn", but I am an intelligent, adult human being with multiple degrees, including one in civil engineering. Not to mention I have six plus decades of practical living experience, including 47 years of shooting muzzleloaders. I can easily distinguish between "red grease" and "rust". And as my screen names indicates, I am a pastor with decades of experience concerning conflict resolution. I am not giving Midway the short end of the stick, and I did indeed contact them immediately in a professional and courteous manner. The person I talked to reminded me of Midway's "no return policy" and. I was instructed in that conversation that any follow-up needed to be initiated with Uberti. I am not going to waste hours on the phone ranting and raving with a "manager" at Midway, just to get $300 back. I will use my acquired skills to clean the gun and hopefully have a good shooter. My singular goal of the original posts was a caveat emptor for those who might be considering a purchase from Midway USA. If you have had clean businesses transactions with them in the past, I would not attempt to dissuade you from continuing in your decided course of action. As for myself, I will no longer be a customer of Midway.

Honestly, I doubt Midway even opened the box after they got it from Uberti. A couple years ago, I ordered an Indian made repro bayonet for my Baker rifle. It arrived heavily coated in rust. I was able to clean it up pretty well, but some spots of pitting remain. I'd put the blame on Uberti. But I wish Midway would inspect items they receive!

Fark Midway, i wont deal with anyone that has a no return policy. Oh they shipped you sht, too bad no returns.
I deal with M&M Outfitters. Kansas. All ubertis come from Cimarron of Texas. Quality pistols. None of the short arbor manure. (I measured, don’t start).
Not all importers get the same stuff.

The op, PastorB, posted on page one that the Uberti was paid for with a pre-paid debit card.

For others reading this thread we suggest using a credit card for online retail transactions so that you have the power to create a return dispute through the credit card company.

Also, for those concerned about credit card security I think you can generate a one time use credit card number for transactions.

Have only had to use the credit card dispute process one or two times over the decades. Worked well quickly and I got satisfaction. YMMV.

Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040
Midway DOES accept returns. A month ago my buddy purchased an engraved "Patton" .45 Long Colt cartridge revolver from Midway and it was a flawed gun. It had nickel plating flaking off, rough machine marks on the trigger guard and frame. It was a mess. He called Midway and raised a big stink and they told him to send it back and they will return his money. <https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102159173?pid=294843>

I can tell you why it’s rusted in certain areas and why, This pistol was a straight up send back return from someone else who cleaned it up and wiped all the grease out of the pockets areas and for what ever reason sent it back. Now listen these guns are imported by Stoeger and I have never had a problem with Scott or Ron from Stoeger USA they have even sent me cylinders for a really screwed up Navy I got from Midway. It may even have been a send back to Stoeger and not Midway but Midway buys up every import from Pietta and Uberti that they can at a discount that’s why the boxes look like they do and some times missing paper work and a Dry Bag. But like anything else in life we throw the dice and some times you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Last year I ordered another 61 from them on my birthday discount they do and behold it was Pristine and Greasy. But if you gripe enough to Midway they will take it back and I know that’s what happened in your case. My regrets go out to you my friend because I know how you feel I have been there and it’s not right to spend hard earned money on something that looks like trash i am sorry for your loss.

.... I am not going to waste hours on the phone ranting and raving with a "manager" at Midway, just to get $300 back....
I think that's a valid point of view I can empathize with. Sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle vs. the amount. You just let it go and move on. Ya gotta wonder, though ... maybe that's something these online retailers are counting on?

Here is a pic of one of the rusted nipples I just removed from the cylinder. Also a pic of the "Business End" of the cylinder. Top left has corrosion, top right has the remnants of a spent cap, thus obscuring the ability to see the flashhole. I will clean it up and use the revolver, as I am not the type of fella to go ballistic on an hourly employee, but again, "Buyer Beware".
20240312_122548.jpg
20240312_122608.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the rusted nipples I just removed from the cylinder. Also a pic of the "Business End" of the cylinder. Top left has corrosion, top right has the remnants of a spent cap, thus obscuring the ability to see the flashhole. I will clean it up and use the revolver, as I am not the type of fella to go ballistic on an hourly employee, but again, "Buyer Beware". View attachment 303204View attachment 303205
Yeah but it’s just not right to pay new price for a used item. Personally I would not keep it but if I did I would want a discount.

I understand not dealing with an hourly employee, but writing a letter with photos included should get somebody’s attention.

Threatening to file a report with the Better Business Bureau has never failed to bring me results

I’m sad for you, truly. But since you are going to work on it anyways maybe document the process? Myself, and any future novices, would love to see the whole rehab in detail.

This is a good opportunity to make lemonade from this lemon.

Thank you for sharing and everyone else for the tips in this thread.

I do not think y can make blanket all encompassing statements about what Midway does or does not do. For a company like Midway that carries over 100,000 items, you can guarantee that no one is doing an incoming QC check on each one.
No consumer product for sale online gets QC'd. They get drop shipped, put into inventory, and shipped when sold. However, guns are different from the 100,000 other products Midway sells. Guns, ammo, and the like that they call out specifically in their no-return policy have liability. They sell them directly from the manufacturers and refer you to the manufacturer for problem resolution to lessen their liability. It is nothing more than an attempt to insulate themselves from liability after buyers injure or kill themselves due to manufacturing defects or stupidity. There is also a reason why they make you create a big stink before accepting a return - to minimize the evidence of their ownership of liability for defects and the transactional costs associated.

Latest posts

Back