• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new topic ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firelock

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who either owns a Ruger Old Army Or has ever used one. I purchased my stainless Old Army over thirty years ago and have fed it just about everything one could. My favorite load is thirty gr. of either 3f black powder or triple seven, I even tried Black Mag3, an Ox-Yoke pre-lubed wad and a .457 cast pure lead rd.ball.I swab the barrel as needed betwen rounds. After thirty rounds or so the accuracy goes south. Take it home give it a soap and water bath, scrubbing the bore with a brush she's back to tight groups. My question is what do you folks do at the range to maintain accuracy? Thanks Firelock

I don't have that model, but are you lubing over the bullets in the chamber? That ,along with running a tight patch (usually dry)through the bore every two cylinders or so , and cleaning the forcing cone, seems to allow me many shots before cleaning.

That is exactly what I have happen to my ROA, pull the cylinder and squirt windsheild washer fluid down the barrel from the cylinder end, let soak and repeat. then use a bore brush to scrub and wipe with a Go-Jo (white) hand cleaner mop to finish. dry patch, wipe down and replace cylinder after lubing pin then reload and shoot some more.

I use a Wonder Wad under the ball and smear some Wonder Lube over the chamber after seating the bullet. I'm not trying to seal the chambers, just keeping things turning. I can shoot about 30-40 rounds before I start having trouble seating caps on the nipples. At that point I break out the Windex and scrub her down.

Blizzard :thumbsup: Thanks for the vote of confidence, glad to hear I'm not alone.I stopped using that grease because of the mess it created. Is there any product that makes less mess?
Firelock

Chapter yes I tried the grease, but stopped using it when they came out with 45cal wads. however as I recall she would lose accuracy still Firelock

had this problem with my .36 Navy Arms Remington repro....and used the same solution...at the 10 shot mark, would pull the cylinder and swab the bbl...the groups actually began opening after 5 shots, and eventually I would race to do the swabing between relays...Hank

I make my own felt overpowder wads and make a solution 'grease' to lube,which I smear a dob of atop the wad before loading the slug - I no longer use grease atop the ball/slug. Have used 'Sno-Seal' boot dressing and Go-Jo white hand cleaner as lube, this batch I made is a grease-wax mix.

Firelock said:
Blizzard :thumbsup: Thanks for the vote of confidence, glad to hear I'm not alone.I stopped using that grease because of the mess it created. Is there any product that makes less mess?
Firelock

By volume:

Crisco 2 parts : Bee wax: 1 part

It will not mess, whatever the T* over the ball.

Etienne Brule.

My accuracy goes south after 30 rounds or so too. I have been using a bronze brush with some WD40 down the bore. Then I follow up with a few clean patches to get the excess solvent out. This has restored accuracy for me.

Latest posts

Back