• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Traditional Muzzleloaders, and flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vette_lover2004

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new to the world of muzzleloading and flintlocks in general. I've since ordered a Jim Chambers New England Fowler, and am on the slow and I mean slow, process of inletting the swamped barrel. Man, does that black inletting paste get everywhere or what? It started out with much gusto, and then the reality of the work and time involved has set in. But I'm not discouraged one bit. I'm out to complete this gun by spring if time allows. I'm hoping I can lean on some shoulders for guidance and will most likely be haunting the gun builders section here and there. But, hopefully I'll be upstairs building a gun more often than not. So, if any are willing to take a complete rookie under their wing and allow me to chew their brain...Please step forward. I'm all ears. Teach me the ways of the traditional gun builders. :bow:

Hey, I'm not too awful far from you at all. I,m from Guilford originally, but now reside in Norwich. I was actually over at Whitney Point a couple weeks ago...good walleye fishing over there in the reservoir I hear. Never caught anything over there, except a cold. Thanks to all you guys for the welcome. I hear there is a wealth of knowledge for the taking.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yep,just a hop,skip and jump from us.We have a great black powder program here at the Whitnet Point sportsmens Club,a good group of guy's both members and none members.We have a regular shoot monthly and shoot in between.We have a 3 day rondezvous in Sept.If ya ever want to shoot let me know.

Good move to hang here... :thumbsup:
I use the wife's lip stick in the colors no longer used in the art of deception! :haha:.
Inletting black can be messy.
Slowly sneak up on your build and enjoy!....Dan

Yes certainly..I have a feeling that if I can complete a working gun...I'll need to see how it does with .690 roundball...so I guess I'll take on your invite, albeit with a span of time before I actually can go. Gotta get the gun done first...or in the white

Welcome, and yes the folks at the Whitney Point sportsmens Club are a great bunch and are willing to lend a hand if it is needed.

Jim

THE ADMIRAL and I kayak at Whitney Point quite often. You have to fish the old original river channel for the walleye. ;-)

I know better than to try and build my own muzzleloader. I bought plans for a tack-and-tape 15 ft bateau that could be built "in one weekend" and eight months after I started I had it ready to launch.

I love to have projects to futz on, but usually whatever I am working on already has a version in service I can use when needed.

I have a radio-control biplane kit I have been working on for six years. ;-)

Guess I'll have to head back out that way and do some fishing. My gun build has gotten my full attention at the moment, so I'm not holding my breath.

Back