• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancote

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! I am 45 and live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Have a family with 5 kids and 2 grandkids now. My dad gave me a T/C .45 he had sitting around at his place for about 30 years or so and never really used. When I was a kid I dreamed of shooting muzzleloaders. I got into longbows big time when I was around 12 and trapping, that's where my time/money went. But, now I feel like a kid again! I can hardly sleep waiting for my supplies to come in from Track of the Wolf to start shooting this thing. I am afraid my wife is rolling her eyes with one more of my ol time Traditional passions! I have a canvas Wheelen tent for my xmas present coming too...so hope to do some hunting and camping with it next fall. My kids are teens, but showing some interest in the beautiful old Hawkens...

Dan

"ol' time traditional passions". You are well on your way to recreating tradition within your family...next will come a tomahawk and scalper knife, then period correct clothes for everybody, and the kids will be wanting their own rifles or smoothbores...and your wife will be cooking over a campfire.... Or maybe you'll all just have fun shooting the Hawken. :wink:

Whatever the case, anything that makes you feel like a kid again, is good.
Welcome to the Forum. You have come to a good place. :hatsoff:

:hatsoff: Howdy and good ta have ya here.Enjoy your journy into the world of BP. :thumbsup: Griz

Howdy to another Michigander ! Welcome from a troll near Flint. Have hunted near L 'Anse where a friend has a cottage.that old gitchimeegoomie can blow cold that time of the year. Lots of good folks here.

thank you everyone! I appreciate all the welcomes! I am enjoying reading through older posts. I am trying to get a feel for how to properly use and care for the gun. Whether or not the .45 with round ball will do the ethical kill job on reasonable double lung shots (out to maybe 60-70 yards?) I have seen some posts about balls flattening out or not penetrating. Just gonna keep reading and when my supplies come...start shooting!!!

Welcome! I'm from Highland,MI. A bit south I know. Been muzzleloader hunting neer Manistique once. Saw a lot of snow and a few doe. Guess you gotta know where the yarding areas are.

Back