• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the Forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOTHEAD

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new here and thought I would offer a brief intro.

While I’m an old fart (turned 72 last month), I don’t have a lot of Black powder experience. My first long arm was my 1853 Enfield (2nd model) 3-bander repro that was used for my CW re-enacting between 1983 and 1993 (and have since given reenacting up) and subsequent to that I acquired a couple revolvers (Pietta 1851 Navy repro) and a Pietta 183 police repro). I also recently bought on of those 8” Desperados that you are advertising on the forum.

My chemistry knowledge far exceeds black powder however and have done a stint in model rocketry with homemade solid propellant.

Professionally I am a NASA Engineering consultant subcontractor working at NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) expecting to either retire in a few months. I consider myself a chemist, but aside from junior level college chemistry I don’t have much official paper to prove it. I always loved it (chemistry that is) and dabbled in it, but aside from how I employ that knowledge in my NASA support it is not a professional endeavor.

I live in Maryland and spend a lot of time on PA and my company Manson Engineering Research Services (MERS) LLC is registered in the state of Maryland.

I’m married with two children and 5 grandchild all of whom I adore.

I’m also a ham (amateur radio operator) with a bunch if radios, but not practicing regularly.

Take care all,

Slothead Tom KC3QAC (and by the way, the “slothead” term is because of the type of guitars I play.

That’s enough for now, Any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks Campbell, and by the way I have relative and ancestors by that name (the ancestor as were in Argyll, Scotland.

Yep. Some call it scrim. Some call it scratchin' and ink.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Howdy from Maine Slothead and thanks for the name/guitar reference. Learned something new!

Welcome.

Put that chemistry knowledge to work and make us some primer caps that work.

CCI can't figure it out.
They do pretty well with their completed cartridges. The real issue is creating something that is pressure sensitive. Gunpowder is not. Primers contain Mercury fulminate. But I don’t know how to create fulminate of mercury. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Mercury fulminate (or fulminate of mercury, as Walt rightly calls it) Hg(ONC)2 is a very unstable and explosive compound. Although first prepared back in 1800, because of its instability the crystal structure was only fully determined as recently as 2007.

Tom

Latest posts

Back