• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to muzzleloading, how should I store my new pyrodex, projectiles and patches ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got some pyrodex RS and some things, how should I store it? In my gun safe? Should I get some damprids? In a ammobox in the safe? In it's own separate safe? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Store your Pyrodex and other supplies in a cabinet or box just as you would anything you keep in your pantry. Any reasonably temperature controlled area of your house will be fine. You could put it on a shelf in your garage for many years and it will still work. It is easy and safe to store.

Store Pyrodex in it's original container, NOT in a safe or ammo can. You don't want it in anything that could build pressure if it were to burn. Like TDM said pretty much anywhere, I have mine in a plastic cabinet I got at Menards along with the rest of my muzzleloading supplies down in the basement.

If you are really concerned about it there are plans available free from SAAMI for the construction of a wooden powder storage magazine.

Low explosives like BP, Pyrodex and T7 are generally comfortable in the same sorts of places you might be comfortable. I.e.: damp places and hot places are not good places to take naps or store powder. So, the bedroom closet or the man cave are probably good storage locations, the attic and the basement, not so much.

Probably the worst possible danger to your powder is a group of unsupervised children, most likely not your own children, but the children of the liberals who live next door who think it would be cool to blow something up like they see on (name least favorite video game).

Back