• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to muzzleloaders need help identifying a tc muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there’s some small pieces I don’t know what they are I’ll post pictures of them this afternoon when I get home.

HOLY MOLY..., :doh:

I missed the side piece under the lock bolt! It's flush with the stock. YES that's a vintage .45 alright!

Anything inside the box on the stock ???

LD
IMG_1674.jpeg

TC sure did find some pretty wood from time to time… It’s not really custom or presentation grade, those wouldn’t show any sapwood but it is a beauty. I’d say, including the accessories, you’re into that rifle for about what you’d have paid 30 years ago. Congratulations.
You’ve gotten some good advice about shooting it, source some blackpowder and caps and enjoy!
This may sound like a very stupid question but what’s with the two triggers? Keep in mind I have no clue about these types of firearms I am learning all I can before I shoot

The rear trigger “sets” the front trigger so that the pull is much lighter. As in ounces rather than pounds. The front trigger can be fired set or unset. If you lower the hammer to the nipple you can try the set function. Just pull the rear trigger until you feel it click and then lay your finger against the front trigger and press gently…

The rear trigger “sets” the front trigger so that the pull is much lighter. As in ounces rather than pounds. The front trigger can be fired set or unset. If you lower the hammer to the nipple you can try the set function. Just pull the rear trigger until you feel it click and then lay your finger against the front trigger and press gently…
That’s actually a pretty cool feature! Thank you!

Nice looking shooter. BEFORE you shoot it look through our forum and learn how to clean it. I just use tap water. Then rubbing alcohol and then fluid film. Many ways to clean but do it as soon as possible after you are done shooting.
Have fun
Stank

Nice looking shooter. BEFORE you shoot it look through our forum and learn how to clean it. I just use tap water. Then rubbing alcohol and then fluid film. Many ways to clean but do it as soon as possible after you are done shooting.
Have fun
Stank
Thanks I’m gonna see if I can find someone that actually knows what they are doing to show my first hand how to load it and clean it I don’t want to screw anything up

You got a great rifle for a killer price. I have a Cabelas 45 caliber Hawken and its my favorite BP rifle to shoot. I have well over 500 shots through mine. When I started shooting BP I almost gave up because I couldn't get any accuracy and had no one to help me. There was no internet back then. But I bought this book by Sam Fadala and read it and learned about my gun. Here it is on Ebay for $10. I really suggest you get this book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395278630041?epid=1254376&itmmeta=01HTZ82EA89SA4RW8NXW09ZSHD&hash=item5c08713c99:g:sysAAOSwg9pl-IPB&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwMppes1bWwb+L3RgiF0IZOMRElY1KivM0W0Gz+/HPOD576+VeDZIpA3YIOJGN4TO2ofhZoJ8viQbYPZ8ElkbKyJgQTXZadiSoXn2EIaok8Q8eC6Uqws5tJG5Kdqc8LxG7PrRnXgzzEyL0p4BH+M7bT2zynMw+Xe3wsIB5d3LIrFuO9VckbSQ29Mntg/4gasrHRyAcZfuB3adXd+jPtqwl9TEV0mH7LETfF7GziTkgF3reeSSVszkLWtLTwamqPnEsQ==|tkp:Bk9SR5zliejXYw

It taught me most of what I know about shooting and taking care of my BP rifles. The TC you bought is probably the very best production BP rifle you can get. They are built to last if you will learn to care for them. The soft lead conicals and patched lead balls cause almost no bore wear. But improper cleaning can kill one in short order.

I wish you were close to the Burleson Tx area I would love to help you learn. I have gotten a few of my buds into BP shooting and they like it as much as I do. I don't get to go much anymore because of my neuropathy in my lower legs and balance issues but it was a sport I got a lot of pleasure from.

and the screw between them is for adjusting the front or hair trigger weight of pull

Have fun
Stank
FLUID FILM IN A BARREL??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! not in my guns!

Well thats strange? The book I posted the link to just sold. Hmmm... I hope the OP was the one who bought the book. If not there are at least 4 more copies on ebay for sale.

In case you haven't figured it out yet you got a smoking hot deal. Looks well maintained so I'd bet it has a good bore. Early gun, probably not too long after introduction. My first I bought in 1976 and it had been on the shelf at least a year, maybe two, before I bought it. It is a .50 with a SN around 94,000 and change.

Every one deserves a good score on a gun every now and then. What a great way to enter the game of muzzleloading. Treat it well and above all give it a good cleaning ASAP after shooting it, even if you fire only one shot.

Someone here mentioned having fired 500 shots out of their T/C Hawken and that's a considerable number however there are a lot of shooters out there who've put thousands of shots through one of these guns, I'm one. The .45 T/C Hawkens I own are among my favorites to shoot. I recently bought a really nice early T/C .45 Hawken, near pristine, and with tax and shipping I sank just under $500 into it. I'm reasonably happy with the deal.

Congratulations, now learn how and get out there and shoot that puppy.

If someone knows something about it I would love any information I can get! Thanks in advance I look forward to learning more about muzzleloaders
Nice earlier gun, though not likely first year production. The few confirmed first year TC Hawkens I have seen had case color hardened steel trigger guards, not brass. I do have a few TCs in the safe with 4 digit serial numbers starting with 2s and 4s. I have an idea when they were manufactured, but gave up worrying about it years ago. Toss in the fact that many of the barrels (only serial numbered component) have been swapped out on numerous stocks, even if you had a manufacturing date, all you would have is the date the barrel was made, though looking at your stock, it looks to be original to the barrel.

From the photograph of nipple and jag in the patch box, it appears the gun has been fired. Have you CONFIRMED the gun is not loaded?

Add my congratulations on an astoundingly good deal!

Regarding trying out your set trigger, do NOT use it with the hammer at the half-cock position. Doing so could break the tip of the sear or even possibly break the half-cock notch. Try it with the hammer down on the nipple, or at full-cock after placing a faucet washer on the nipple to protect it from being battered out of shape due to the hammer hitting it without a cap installed.

Best of luck to you with your new rifle. I’m thinking there are a lot of members here who wish they were in your shoes. 😁👍

Nice earlier gun, though not likely first year production. The few confirmed first year TC Hawkens I have seen had case color hardened steel trigger guards, not brass. I do have a few TCs in the safe with 4 digit serial numbers starting with 2s and 4s. I have an idea when they were manufactured, but gave up worrying about it years ago. Toss in the fact that many of the barrels (only serial numbered component) have been swapped out on numerous stocks, even if you had a manufacturing date, all you would have is the date the barrel was made, though looking at your stock, it looks to be original to the barrel.

From the photograph of nipple and jag in the patch box, it appears the gun has been fired. Have you CONFIRMED the gun is not loaded?
I think so but with my little amount of knowledge I followed some earlier instructions and I stuck the rod down the barrel and then measured it on the outside and there was about a quarter inch difference but I’m not sure I did it right. I’m going to see if I can find someone I know who has more knowledge to verify it for me! Until then I’m treating it as if it was loaded

You got a great rifle for a killer price. I have a Cabelas 45 caliber Hawken and its my favorite BP rifle to shoot. I have well over 500 shots through mine. When I started shooting BP I almost gave up because I couldn't get any accuracy and had no one to help me. There was no internet back then. But I bought this book by Sam Fadala and read it and learned about my gun. Here it is on Ebay for $10. I really suggest you get this book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395278630041?epid=1254376&itmmeta=01HTZ82EA89SA4RW8NXW09ZSHD&hash=item5c08713c99:g:sysAAOSwg9pl-IPB&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwMppes1bWwb+L3RgiF0IZOMRElY1KivM0W0Gz+/HPOD576+VeDZIpA3YIOJGN4TO2ofhZoJ8viQbYPZ8ElkbKyJgQTXZadiSoXn2EIaok8Q8eC6Uqws5tJG5Kdqc8LxG7PrRnXgzzEyL0p4BH+M7bT2zynMw+Xe3wsIB5d3LIrFuO9VckbSQ29Mntg/4gasrHRyAcZfuB3adXd+jPtqwl9TEV0mH7LETfF7GziTkgF3reeSSVszkLWtLTwamqPnEsQ==|tkp:Bk9SR5zliejXYw

It taught me most of what I know about shooting and taking care of my BP rifles. The TC you bought is probably the very best production BP rifle you can get. They are built to last if you will learn to care for them. The soft lead conicals and patched lead balls cause almost no bore wear. But improper cleaning can kill one in short order.

I wish you were close to the Burleson Tx area I would love to help you learn. I have gotten a few of my buds into BP shooting and they like it as much as I do. I don't get to go much anymore because of my neuropathy in my lower legs and balance issues but it was a sport I got a lot of pleasure from.
I’m gonna look that book up I just got off work and didn’t see your post till now. I come to the burleson area quite frequently I’ll look you up next time I head that way I’d love to learn as much as I can!

Back