• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to muzzleloaders need help identifying a tc muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joembaker87

32 Cal
Reaction score
I purchased this muzzleloader today at an estate auction for $150 it came with a bag full of all the loading and cleaning accessories. The firearm itself is in great condition with just a very small amount of rust on the muzzle. It is stamped as a Thompson center arms cal 45 with a serial number of 4339. But no model name.
I have seen very few firearms with a 4 digit serial number and before I go out and try to load and shoot this beautiful weapon I would like to find out more about it and see what it’s worth and age it! The family of the original owner knew nothing about it except that their dad would never shoot it just kept it in a viewing case! They said their loss was my gain and they hoped I enjoyed it.
If someone knows something about it I would love any information I can get! Thanks in advance I look forward to learning more about muzzleloaders
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1664.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1668.jpeg
IMG_1667.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So what you have there, at a bargain price 👍, is a Thompson Center Hawken, in .45 caliber, caplock.

You will want to check to see if she's loaded, by putting the ramrod down the barrel, marking the ramrod where it rests at the muzzle, then removing the ramrod and compare it to the outside of the barrel.

Once confirmed not loaded (and it's not uncommon that they still are), then you want to check the bore. One of the easiest ways is to take a AAA battery, and drop it "nipple end" (positive +) down the barrel, and then shine a bright flashlight at down the barrel after it. The reflection of light off the base of the AAA battery will show you a lot of detail.

East of the Mississippi a .440 round ball with a cloth patch is sufficient to take deer, and should also work in Missouri, but if you're hesitant on a 125 grain round ball, fear not for you can get an inexpensive Lee brand R.E.A.L bullet mold, and shoot a 250 grain bullet.

Lee REAL 250 gr .45 bullet mold

You will also need #11 sized caps. If you can't find them then you may be in the market for a cap making kit.

LD

So what you have there, at a bargain price 👍, is a Thompson Center Hawken, in .45 caliber, caplock.

You will want to check to see if she's loaded, by putting the ramrod down the barrel, marking the ramrod where it rests at the muzzle, then removing the ramrod and compare it to the outside of the barrel.

Once confirmed not loaded (and it's not uncommon that they still are), then you want to check the bore. One of the easiest ways is to take a AAA battery, and drop it "nipple end" (positive +) down the barrel, and then shine a bright flashlight at down the barrel after it. The reflection of light off the base of the AAA battery will show you a lot of detail.

East of the Mississippi a .440 round ball with a cloth patch is sufficient to take deer, and should also work in Missouri, but if you're hesitant on a 125 grain round ball, fear not for you can get an inexpensive Lee brand R.E.A.L bullet mold, and shoot a 250 grain bullet.

Lee REAL 250 gr .45 bullet mold

You will also need #11 sized caps. If you can't find them then you may be in the market for a cap making kit.

LD
Wow that’s great! I had no idea! Abd thanks for the tips and advice! Is there any difference between shooting a 125 grain round ball vs a 225 grain bullet? That may sound like a dumb question but I literally have no experience with them lol

Nice score, should hold its value and be a good shooter. Very nice wood was not uncommon on early TC Hawkens. I’m working on one right now but not as early or fancy as yours.
IMG_0561 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
They had 2 different muzzleloaders there was another one that was a .39 I believe and it had a 12 in longer barrel but I got outbid on it. It was nice had a lot of brass work on it but I didn’t recognize the maker and it went for 500 but there wasn’t very many bids on the one I bought! And now after. Reading all these reply’s I’m very glad I got it. I’ll post some more pics of it later when I get a light shined down the barrel

HOLY MOLY..., :doh:

I missed the side piece under the lock bolt! It's flush with the stock. YES that's a vintage .45 alright!

Anything inside the box on the stock ???

LD
Yes there’s some small pieces I don’t know what they are I’ll post pictures of them this afternoon when I get home.

Beautiful rifle !
Start out with a .440 ball, pillow ticking for patches and a good lube.
Stack all that over FFFG black powder. Start your charges around 45-50 grains of powder. Increase the charge 5 grains at a time until you find what the rifle likes.
Consider getting a range rod for loading, use the short starter you have shown in the photo.
Shoot at 25 yards from a sand bagged rest in five shot groups, holding the same point of aim on the target to see where it hits. Then adjust your sights. Repeat.
The sand bag eliminates most of the human error.

Clean with dish washing soap and warm/hot water. Dry it, oil it and check it in about two or three days for rust.

Enjoy it.:cool:

Beautiful rifle !
Start out with a .440 ball, pillow ticking for patches and a good lube.
Stack all that over FFFG black powder. Start your charges around 45-50 grains of powder. Increase the charge 5 grains at a time until you find what the rifle likes.
Consider getting a range rod for loading, use the short starter you have shown in the photo.
Shoot at 25 yards from a sand bagged rest in five shot groups, holding the same point of aim on the target to see where it hits. Then adjust your sights. Repeat.
The sand bag eliminates most of the human error.

Clean with dish washing soap and warm/hot water. Dry it, oil it and check it in about two or three days for rust.

Enjoy it.:cool:
Now that’s some sound advice!

Wow that’s great! I had no idea! Abd thanks for the tips and advice! Is there any difference between shooting a 125 grain round ball vs a 225 grain bullet? That may sound like a dumb question but I literally have no experience with them lol

Roughly speaking, and there are a lot of factors, the bullet is twice the mass of the round ball, and flies a bit better, but does kick a little bit more.

LD

How early would you say?
Based on the very low serial number and the fact it doesn't say "HAWKEN" on the barrel, my guess is first year of production. My understanding is that Thompson Center's production records were lost in a fire, but someone may have more information as to the year of manufacture.

My first Muzzleloader was a TC Hawken in 45 caliber. I bought it used in early 1980's. I shot a .440 ball with 60 grs of powder. Really enjoyed that gun until Flintlock fever struck me. Now I am reverting back to cap locks don't know why. I guess maybe because I bought 4500 caps

TC sure did find some pretty wood from time to time… It’s not really custom or presentation grade, those wouldn’t show any sapwood but it is a beauty. I’d say, including the accessories, you’re into that rifle for about what you’d have paid 30 years ago. Congratulations.
You’ve gotten some good advice about shooting it, source some blackpowder and caps and enjoy!

Back