• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New (to me) pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted to show of my new purchase and hear what you think. It is a Swedish m/1854 they were made for the navy thats way there is a large belthook on the left side. Caliber is 16mm or around .63 meassured whit a caliper at the muzzle, i have yet to determind what size ball and patch and how much powder that i should use so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas
Math

PC180002.jpg

PC180001.jpg

That is a very interesting pistol. It would be great if it could talk.
And Merry Christmas to you.

Very nice! I never would have guessed the dog lock was still in use in the percussion era.
I'd try a ball about 1/2 mm under bore size with a cloth patch as thick as can be comfortably rammed down. I'd also start with about 30 grains of 2f or 3f blackpowder. You can do the metric conversion of that on your own. :haha:
And have a happy solstice!

In the information section at the rear of the Dixie Gunworks catalogs it shows that the .58 caliber U.S, Springfield Pistol Model 1855 used 40 grains of 2Fg powder and the .67 caliber Tower Flint Pistol used 35 grains of 3Fg powder.

I would think that something in that neighborhood would be about right for your pistol as a maximum load.

Thanks for the reply
I was planing on trying 30gr of 2f and your answer show that i wasen't so far of, now all i have to do i find a ball thats fits. Oh and wait for all this white stuff that's lying around to go away so i can get to the range

Happy holidays to you all
Math

Back